On Demand Causes Verizon Box to Reboot Frequently
dwichers

I had Verizon before, and switched to Comcast but hated them so switched back to Verizon recently.

Now, I have a problem I didn't have before.

Only when watching on-demand, the set top box frequently reboots in the middle of watching the show. I have a DVR and a seperate regular box in another room (both CISCO) and both boxes exhibit the same problem. I even replaced the non-DVR box to see if that would fix it, and that didn't do anything.

This only happens when watching on-demand and it usually happens multiple times during a single 2 hour movie. And it happens on both types of boxes, which is extremely suspicious.

Is anyone else seeing this same problem? And anyone heard of a solution this problem?

We've also already had them out once after installing to check out all the wiring and signal strength and I don't think that is the cause of the problem.  Sounds like a software/firmware problem to me. Curious is anyone else is seeing the same issue.

Thanks, Dave

0 Likes
Re: On Demand Causes Verizon Box to Reboot Frequently
ndg2
Enthusiast - Level 2

This happens to me constantly.  We can't get through an on-demand program.  I have four Cisco boxes and it happens on all of them.  Two are DVRs and two are regular HD boxes. 

It started happening a few months ago.  We've had FIOS in this house for 9 months and it didn't happen for the first 6 months or so.  I've tried the online trouble shooting and even did a factory reset of my router as advised my a Verizon rep.  Nothing has solved the problem.  It seems to be getting worse.

I tried an online chat with Verizon support last night.  He said it sounds like I have weak electrical power to my cable boxes.  I highly doubt that this is the case.  I tried to get him to send a tech, but he said they would charge me for this. He did offer to mail me new cable splitters.  We'll see if that does anything. 

I may try the phone and see if I can reach a more helpful tech.  I think the first time I complained about this, the more helpful tech said I may need a new router since it's involved in on-demand.

I also think it's a firmware issue related to some update, particularly since it did not happen when I first got the service.

I'd like to know if others are seeing this problem, too.  Thanks.

0 Likes