Problem installing eSata external drive
Repoman2

I am trying to install a 2GB LaCie external drive. It recognizes the drive and goes through the reboot process to add it. Everytime it starts up again it tells me that this external drive has been used on another DVR. It asks me to accept or reject the drive with a warning that all data will be erased. When I accept it goes throught the whole reboot process and comes back to the same message.  So essentially I am in an endless loop (went through it 4 times).

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Problem installing eSata external drive
CarzyUkrainian

There are no minimum or maximum storage limits for FiOS TV. However, Verizon recommends the following model types:

• Western Digital -  WDBACS5000EBK-NEVZ - 500GB
  • Western Digital - WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ - 1TB
  • Western Digital - WDBABT0010HBK-NESN - 1TB

so looks like u have an issue with ur drive, try a different one if u can

0 Likes
Irondude85

I just received my FIOS recommended eSATA drive WDBACS0010HBK and it is a USB drive which the DVR does not recognize.  I can only plug it into the USB port on the DVR.  What now?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Irondude85 wrote:

I just received my FIOS recommended eSATA drive WDBACS0010HBK and it is a USB drive which the DVR does not recognize.  I can only plug it into the USB port on the DVR.  What now?

The WDBACS0010HBK is supposed to be an SATA drive according to Verizon (which lists it as a qualified drive) and Western Digital web sites.  Perhaps your were sent the wrong drive.  The USB port is not active on the STB.  You must use an eSATA drive using hte eSATA port only.

0 Likes
mfvcust001

SInce there are no minimum and maximum space constraints on the hard drive, I have a 3TB western digital drive, and my 7232 receiver does not recognize it when connected to ESATA.  Do I need to partition it / format it ? Any ideas ? Will any other 2db or 3gb drives work ?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

3tb WD?  Are you sure as i don't see them listing a 3tb that supports esata.  At least one person mentioned connecting another brand (lacie?) but didn't mention many details.

0 Likes
johnme1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I had issue with my 7216 w/1.9 accepting my 2TB, but not quite as you experience. I was in a loop, numerous soft boots during repeated storage addition attempts and of course some hard boots, unplugged. someone else discovered that the reboot stb works for many of these drive recognition issues, mysteriously. if not tried, try menu > customer support > in-home agent > reboot stb. good luck given fios apparently does not support non-wd drives which aggravates to no end. so it follows... does anyone know why fios is pushing wd? do they have a contract with wd and those the only drives they have in-house? I read that some drives have characteristics that apparently do not work well with fios--apparently regarding power management, but I have yet to find on this site or elsewhere why, technically, wd. the futility of asking fios support anything has left me seeking other avenues. my iomega 2TB esata professional works great. have tested it while recording two concurrent hd programs, to the external, while watching another hd off the external and the only lag I experience, during that test with three hd shows reading/writing concurrently, was a slight delay when initiating ff, rw, or 10sec. great drive for fios. for those who have the older dvrs like I do, having basically no storage for hd requirement, life is so much better with the extra storage. dvr: 7216
0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@Repoman wrote:

I am trying to install a 2GB LaCie external drive. It recognizes the drive and goes through the reboot process to add it. Everytime it starts up again it tells me that this external drive has been used on another DVR. It asks me to accept or reject the drive with a warning that all data will be erased. When I accept it goes throught the whole reboot process and comes back to the same message.  So essentially I am in an endless loop (went through it 4 times).

Any help on this would be appreciated.

One possibility may be to do a quick format on some other system such as Windows.  Then it hopefully will no longer think its formatted for some other DVR.

0 Likes
bell881

So, I have a similar issue. I just got the WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ and I have tried to enable it multiple times without luck.  

I try to enable it from the DVR menu and it provides a couple of screens that allow it to be enabled.  It states that the process is successful.  When I go through the reboot, the eSata does not seem to be recognized, because my capacity appears the same and the Enable More Storage is still available and can redo the process.  I have tried this about 5 times so far and the same result.

Anyone have any thoughts on this and what else might be able to do to fix it or try something different?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Shortage of eSata external drive
AndoverBob

I have been to Amazon, Western Digital and other sites and the eStata drives for 500 or 1TB are out of stock. Anyone have any sources for these drives? Thanks.

0 Likes