Problem with HMDVR Video Set Up and Remote to Yamaha Receiver
Falco147

I am having two problems right now that I cant seem to figure out. I currently have the HMDVR connected through HDMI to my Yamaha HTR-6160 receiver which then has an HDMI line running from it to the TV:

1) My HMDVR receiver automatically sets itself to be 720P and when I change it in the menu when the box is on to 1080i it stays. When I turn the box off for any amount of time and turn it back on it goes back to 720P. I looked into seting up the HMDVR to 1080i in the user settings menu when the box is off but I am unable to get to any user settings menu. Supposedly all I have to do when the box is off is to hit the menu button but it doesnt seem to be working? Any thoughts on this one?

2) I have been trying to use the universal remote Philips RC 1445302 Remote to work with my Yamaha receiver and I am able to turn the receiver off and control the volume with the remote but for some reason the remote will not turn the device on. This one I am clueless on as to why everything else works. Any help would be great. 

0 Likes
Re: Problem with HMDVR Video Set Up and Remote to Yamaha Receiver
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Falco147 wrote:

I am having two problems right now that I cant seem to figure out. I currently have the HMDVR connected through HDMI to my Yamaha HTR-6160 receiver which then has an HDMI line running from it to the TV:

1) My HMDVR receiver automatically sets itself to be 720P and when I change it in the menu when the box is on to 1080i it stays. When I turn the box off for any amount of time and turn it back on it goes back to 720P. I looked into seting up the HMDVR to 1080i in the user settings menu when the box is off but I am unable to get to any user settings menu. Supposedly all I have to do when the box is off is to hit the menu button but it doesnt seem to be working? Any thoughts on this one?

In order to get to the menu you refer to you need to do the following:

1. Have both the TV and the STB (and in this case your receiver) on.
  2. Turn off the STB and quickly (within about 10 seconds) press select and then menu.

This should bring up a setup screen that allows you top change the output resolution.

If you have V1.6 of the IMG (which I think everyone now does) you should be able to do it much more simply from the main STB menu under settings.

EDIT - Sorry, can't help with item2.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 11-11-2008 11:03 AM
0 Likes
Falco147

@Keyboards wrote:

@Falco147 wrote:

In order to get to the menu you refer to you need to do the following:

1. Have both the TV and the STB (and in this case your receiver) on.
  2. Turn off the STB and quickly (within about 10 seconds) press select and then menu.

This should bring up a setup screen that allows you top change the output resolution.

If you have V1.6 of the IMG (which I think everyone now does) you should be able to do it much more simply from the main STB menu under settings.

EDIT - Sorry, can't help with item2.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 11-11-2008 11:03 AM

So this main STB menu under the settings is the same thing as the menu when the box is off? If thats the case then I have been switching it on there but it keeps reverting back to the 720P and I am not sure why. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Falco147 wrote: 

So this main STB menu under the settings is the same thing as the menu when the box is off? If thats the case then I have been switching it on there but it keeps reverting back to the 720P and I am not sure why. 

It was supposed to be fixed with V1.6 of the IMG (V1.5 used to have issues with that and the 4:3 override not sticking).  If that isn't holding then try the old tried and true method through the STB internal menu.  If it still keeps changing, I don't know what to suggest unless your receiver is sending some handshake back that the STB interprets as an unsupported resolution or something like that.  Have you tried (as a test) going directly to the TV with the HDMI cable?  Just another troubleshooting try.

0 Likes
Falco147
I plan to try the cable directly to the tv tonight but the receiver itself supports 1080P so Im not sure why it would be sending it any wrong signal.
0 Likes
hofs1
Enthusiast - Level 1

U may want to look at running hdmi from dvr to tv and optical audio from dvr to yamaha. pick up a "cheap" harmony remote and all will be "nice" Even though the yamy supports hdmi etc etc. there is no need to run the hdmi signal from one box then to anoter box then to the tv the less "processing" of the signal the better. I know its all digital and 10110110 etc but ive allways prefered letting each device do what its best at.

Besides i just run a yamaha reciever , 5 speakers and "nice kickin sub" and when ever i have a party somone allways plays with the volume levels cause as they say It sounds wicked.

All IMOP of course.

0 Likes