Problem with settop box 3D capability
Diabloe11

Overview: There is a problem with the settop box and it's ability to display 3D content with Mitsubish 3D ready televisions. The error is... "The HD content protection of your display has been compromised."

Home Theater Setup:

Onkyo TX-SR608 A/V Receiver with HDMI 1.4a for 3D support.

Mitsubish 73" TV model 73833 with 3D support.

Mitsubishi 3D adapter 3DC-1000 (Which converts all 3D formats to checker board which is the format the tv supports)

Playstation 3 with 3D support

Verizon's HD settop box.

Mitsubishi 3D ready tv's only support the checker board 3D format natively so if you have 3D content in one of the other 3 formats the tv does not recognize the content as 3D. Due to the industry not selecting a standardized format as of yet, Mitsubishi decided to create an adapter that converts all 3 of the other 3D formats to checker board 3D format which the tv can recognize.

My home theater setup is as follows the Play station 3 and the Verizon set top box are connected to the Onkyo 3D ready A/V receiver via HDIM. The output from the Onkyo receiver is connected to the Mitsubishi 3D adapter via HDMI, and the 3D adapter is connected to the Mitsubishi 3D ready tv. The Play station 3 displays the 3D content perfectly with no problems; however the set top box complains with the error ... "The HD content protection of your display has been compromised." In a big blue box, and it goes on to say that the HD content will be disabled and the screen goes blank. I disconnected the set top box from the receiver and connected it directly through the Mitsubishi adapter and the 3D content that Verizon has on its free video section worked as expected. I then connected the set top box back to the A/V receiver and disconnected the adapter, and connected the A/V receiver to the Mitsubishi tv directly and the set top box did not complain however I cannot view the 3D content that’s on Verizon’s free video section because the 3D content is in side by side format which the Mitsubishi tv does not natively support therefore requiring the Mitsubishi adapter to perform the conversion from side by side to checker board format which the Mitsubishi tv recognizes. I have tried setting the receiver to HDMI pass through however that did not work as well.

The problem here appears to be that the set top box can not handle 2 devices being in between it’s self and the TV i.e. the Onkyo receiver and the Mitsubishi adapter. However it can handle one device between it’s self and the TV i.e the Onkyo receiver OR the Mitsubishi adapter. This is a big issue for people that want 73” and 83” TV’s for their home theaters because Mitsubishi is the only manufacture that produces 3D ready TV’s this large. I think Verizon should get ahead of the game on this issue and get this problem resolved as soon as possible while the 3D market is still in the early stages of its development, otherwise there are going to be some pretty upset people when they find out that they bought a 73” or 83” Mitsubishi for their home theater and the set top box does not work with all of the 3D equipment they bought. It’s not a big deal right now because there is not much 3D content available through Verizon. However Verizon is beginning to market their 3D support.

0 Likes
Re: Problem with settop box 3D capability
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I just found out that the Verizon STB's currently have a single sink limitation, so that is probably why it works without the onkyo in the middle. the 1.9 update towards the end of the year is supposed to resolve that issue.

It's of particular concern to me, as I have the 73 inch mitsubishi as well.  

i think that update is supposed to be around thanksgiving time frame.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

I think you're being overly optimistic with that date considering that 1.8 hasn't been rolled out (successfully) yet.  Past history says it's not going to happen by then, but who knows, miracles do happen Smiley Tongue

0 Likes
myblack2002ws6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel for youSmiley Sad

I'm having the very same problem I have another thread in this section about the very same problem.

It seams like everyone out there wants us to buy their 3D products but none of them want to solve the issues they have with each others equipment. It would be nice if someone from Verizon would chime in on this issue.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

I think you're being overly optimistic with that date considering that 1.8 hasn't been rolled out (successfully) yet.  Past history says it's not going to happen by then, but who knows, miracles do happen Smiley Tongue

I'm always optimistic!   I want to use it too!

but yeah, I know they fall behind on stuff due to whatever reason they give, but it's a goal of theirs to have 3d done by the end of the year.     and that is going to be done with 1.9 and part of 1.9 will be the 8 device thing vs the single sync 

0 Likes
flipvan

I have the exact same set up and devices as the original poster.  Been researching the problem all day.  Glad to hear it is something verizon is going to update in 1.9, hopefully sooner rather than later.  What I don't understand is why does the picture from the channel its boradcasting, come up for a few seconds, without sound, then display the, "the hd content protection of your repeater.............".  If it couldn't display anything because of the more than one extra through source issue, does that error even come up.  I guess I'm just hoping that this 1.9 update will fix the problem for the ones of us that have more than one extra through source.  fingers crossed.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at-Home/FiOS-TV-IMG-1-9-Release-Notes-and-Opportunity-to-Get-a-...

they started beta testing the new img release already.  That's a good sign.  

0 Likes
mattelkins

I have the same setup as the original poster with version 1.9 and everything works fine now.

0 Likes