Programming Samsung Smart TV remote to FIOS Set Top Box
cjhund63

Why can't my Samsung Smart Tv Control my QIP7100p2 Set Top Box? I went through the set up process on the TV and when I get to the part where you find the model name of the set top box, I put in the QIP7100P2 (and appears that way on the Fios menu information); however, the channel up and down still does not operate the TV channels--indicating that the TV remote cannot program itself to the FIOS STB. Do I need to change out the FIOS STB?

0 Likes
Re: Programming Samsung Smart TV remote to FIOS Set Top Box
PJL
Master - Level 3

@cjhund63 wrote:

Why can't my Samsung Smart Tv Control my QIP7100p2 Set Top Box? I went through the set up process on the TV and when I get to the part where you find the model name of the set top box, I put in the QIP7100P2 (and appears that way on the Fios menu information); however, the channel up and down still does not operate the TV channels--indicating that the TV remote cannot program itself to the FIOS STB. Do I need to change out the FIOS STB?

No, it's the Samsung TV that is not programming correctly.  Check for a setting on the remote programming to control the STB channel versus the internal TV channel. 

That said, have you tried it the other way around?  My neighbor has a Samsung Smart TV and uses the FiOS remote to control both, and it works great for him.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I believe the subject is the Samsung Smart TV feature on HDMI 1 that can use a IR transponder output when it is programmed, and it is like an IR Blaster, and it should control the STB. When setting up my TV it asked for my provider and everything. The Smart TV Functions from the TV remote will then do many things and allow the TV to control the STB. I had to bypass all of that and not use it because I have no Verizon TV hardware, except Cable Cards. Thus I have no way to test it. The new Smart Hub features with the faster CPU do many thing the older Sammys would not. Support for Flash playback etc...

One of my latest stay at home gift to myself is the newest model 34" Samsung which serves as my MC monitor also. I am typing this post on it right now. RAZOR SHARP! I need to go back to work and save money.

0 Likes
samsungsmarttv

how do you get a samsung smart tv to work with fios, I can not get any local tv stations or use our dvr.  should I be using the fios remote or the smart tv remote?????

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@samsungsmarttv wrote:

how do you get a samsung smart tv to work with fios, I can not get any local tv stations or use our dvr.  should I be using the fios remote or the smart tv remote?????

The samsung remote if you are trying to use the Samsung smart tv's Fios App.  It does not include all channels and any local channels.  Note the Samsung remotes do not appear to be programmable to control the FIOS stbs.

For all your channels and to control your DVR you use the FIOS remote.  THe TV selecting whatever input is connected to the DVR.

0 Likes
acny1

what is stb  and were is that setting located 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes