QIP 6416-2 need help with INPUT from DVD player...
SJsongs

We just got the Verizon TV package a few weeks ago. It was setup by Verizon. I was not here at the time. The DVD player was on top of the TV. The tech did not hook it up.

There are INPUTS on the back of the STB. HOWEVER, there are no instructions as to how to access them. Anyone have any ideas?

We just want to be able to watch some movies of our own without having to redo the RCA cables EVERY time...

0 Likes
Re: QIP 6416-2 need help with INPUT from DVD player...
matcarl
Master - Level 1

You cannot hook up a DVD player thru the STB, it has to go to another input on your TV.

0 Likes
Re: QIP 6416-2 need help with INPUT from DVD player...
lunynota
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure that's true, at least not always.  There are two DVD players in our house connected so there is a path of STB -> DVD -> TV.  It depends a lot on the number and type of inputs and outputs on each device.  For the older CRT TVs, you wind up having to do it that way because they have only one input.  So you hook up STB to DVD to TV.  If you want to watch TV you turn all three on.  If you're not watching a DVD, the picture from STB shows on the screen.  If you play a DVD, that image shows up instead.

SJsongs, you said the DVD player was on top of the TV when the tech came, but was it hooked up?  I've found Verizon in-house techs to be really responsible about not leaving without re-hooking up any devices they have to unhook to do their work.

If you google the model numbers for your TV and your DVD player, you're likely to find links to manufacturer's pages with the manuals available.  Here's a link to the QIP 6416 manual written by Motorola and hosted on Verizon's site.

Look at page 12.  I would guess that STB is hooked to your TV via an hdmi cable that looks like this.  According to the manual above, that box also has S-video, component video, and composite video outputs.  Unlike HDMI, those three are video-only, no audio.  There also appear to be standard RCA left/right audio outputs on that box.  Without knowing the model of your TV and DVD player I don't know what kind of input options they have.  Component, composite and audio jacks will all be the same size/shape RCA connector.  You tell the difference by color.  Usually ... yellow is composite video; green and blue are two of the three component video lines; red is either the third component line (marked by Pr usually) or the right audio channel; white is the left audio channel.

Read the manual or at least the markings on the back of the DVD player carefully!  Don't connect output lines from the STB to output lines from the DVD player.  Make sure the jacks you're connecting with a single wire have one that's marked as an output and one that's marked as an input.

If the DVD player was already hooked to your TV and your TV has the right kind of open input left, you probably have the right cable to connect your DVD player laying around somewhere.  If not, you may have to shell out a few bucks for some new patch cables.  (Note when buying cables - shop around and don't spend more than a few bucks per cable.  They make a big deal of selling fancy, thick, shielded cables for big bucks in electronics stores.  They're often overpriced and unnecessary for most home applications.  The skinier, cheaper ones without all the bling packaging will likely work just fine.)

0 Likes