Question about STB 7216 Storage Size
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

I currently have a 7216-1 STB and Verizon sent me a replacement because I was having some issues.  The replacement is a 7216-2 and next to the model number on the front, it says 500GB.  I think my older box is 160GB (20 hours of HD recording available).  Does anyone know if this new box really has 500GB?  I thought only the 7232 had more storage.  The model number is on a sticker on this STB.

My old box is working fine now (I was missing one channel for a day, so they thought it was the box and sent the replacement) and I wasn't planning to swap the box since it's working now because I didn't want to lose my recordings, etc.  I also didn't want to run into new potential problems with a new box if not necessary.  But if this new box is really 500GB and can record 60+ hours or so of HD, then I may keep it instead.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about STB 7216 Storage Size
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The -2 is indeed a 500gb model

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

The -2 is indeed a 500gb model

BrianC
Contributor - Level 3
So would this one have roughly triple the DVR capacity of my 7216-1 box to record about 60 hrs or so of HD content?
0 Likes
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Hubrisnxs, do you have this specific box?  I ask because Verizon said that this one does not have more than 160GB and that ALL 7216 boxes only have 160GB.  I'm looking for someone who has first hand knowledge to confirm.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

The 500 GB drive will give you approximately 3.13 times the recording capacity of the 160 GB model.  So the HD time would be increased by that much.   I would keep the new STB.

tns
Master - Level 2

@BrianC wrote:

Hubrisnxs, do you have this specific box?  I ask because Verizon said that this one does not have more than 160GB and that ALL 7216 boxes only have 160GB.  I'm looking for someone who has first hand knowledge to confirm.

They (actually twitter Joe) stated several months ago that would be refurbishing 7216 with 500gb drives as they came back.   This is the first time I heard of someone actually reporting getting one.

BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for all the responses.  You all answered what a Verizon tech support person could not.  I hooked it up, recorded for a while and it's a winner with 500gb based on the percentage used.  Yeah!  I'm happy!  When they told me they were sending another 7216 box as a replacement instead of a 7232, I was kinda bummed.  But not anymore!  I'm also glad the STB works.  Always keep my fingers crossed with this technology and didn't want to go to this trouble (especially working with my entertainment center) if this box didn't have more storage capacity.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the 160 gb versions are the p1's

the 500 gb versions are the p2's 

according to twitter joe...   🙂  glad you got a new one,  that is also the first time I heard anyone getting it yet.  they made that announcement a month or two ago,  maybe three?     

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

the 160 gb versions are the p1's

the 500 gb versions are the p2's 

according to twitter joe...   🙂  glad you got a new one,  that is also the first time I heard anyone getting it yet.  they made that announcement a month or two ago,  maybe three?     

Actually Twitter Joe said it October 31 last year

https://twitter.com/FiOSTV/status/131003450069757955

0 Likes
glennauve
Enthusiast - Level 2

wow. Wish I could get one of those 500 GB boxes. You're supposed to be able to upgrade from the old one (for a ridiculous $40 fee). But it can apparently only be accomplished via this totally buggy and worthless piece of crap website. It's completely unbelievable to me that the phone support has no way to do this. maybe it's time to go back to Comcrap.

0 Likes