Remote Android app is NOT compatible with WiFi only devices? A phone number is required?!
Dovahkiin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unless I am doing something wrong here....It seems silly that a phone number is required to sync a mobile device to the Fios STBfor use with the remote app.  Especially when you have to be on the same WiFi network in order use the remote.  Can anyone confirm this is true?  If that is the case then all WiFi only Android tablets are left out being able to take advantage of this awesome feature?!

You would think we could just provide a custom personalized PIN and not have the software rely on a non-existent phone number.  

0 Likes
Re: Remote Android app is NOT compatible with WiFi only devices? A phone number is required?!
sonofakit
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agree, tried to use Kindle Fire and would not let one dowload the App.

0 Likes
Re: Remote Android app is NOT compatible with WiFi only devices? A phone number is required?!
rogisboss

That because the kindle fire is not a true android tablet.  Unless you root it you are only suppose to download from the app store on amazon, the fire is a color ereader with access to some popular apps via amazon thats it.

0 Likes
mrchompers
Enthusiast - Level 1

i have the same issue.  when i "chatted" with verizon support they told me to check with tablet manufacturer.  obviously no joy there, since issue is with the app.  would love to know if anybody figures out a workaround.

0 Likes
MCMurray

Yes.  There seems to be a glitch.  I side-loaded the apk source file for android version of the mobile remote (which is completely permissible on a Kindle Fire).  However, the final setup/sync with my STB is asking for the last 4 digits of my phone #.  Since my Kindle Fire is wifi only, I can not complete the final step.  

I agree this should be a simple fix for the verizon techs.  How do you complain?

0 Likes
Dovahkiin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is this the correct forum to discuss issues with the Android apps?  Its not technically a TV issue, so who or where can we voice our concern about WiFi only devices?  Can a verizon mod chime in?  Thanks!

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

The verizon residential forums are an appropriate place for your questions regarding the apps working with residential products.

🙂

@Dovahkiin wrote:

Is this the correct forum to discuss issues with the Android apps?  Its not technically a TV issue, so who or where can we voice our concern about WiFi only devices?  Can a verizon mod chime in?  Thanks!

0 Likes
nano5th

In case anyone's being particularly pedantic, I can verify that on my non-rooted android tablet (iconia a100) the app shows up in the market but can't actually be used due to the lack of phone number. i know there used to be an ipod touch version that allowed using a pin and i assume the ipad version works the same way, so this oversight really ought to get fixed for wifi-only android devices!

0 Likes
Dovahkiin
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree!  WiFi only Android devices need love too, Verizon!  Tablets are the future....get with the program.  And....bump

RSC6
Enthusiast - Level 1
SERIOUSLY?? Just got my kindle fire and cant use any fios apps?? Can a moderator let us now where we can lodge a complaint? ?
0 Likes