Remote
Larry826

It was a nice perk that Verizon sent us remotes to control 4 devices for free when they stopped working . So mine needed a replacement .  My replacement came in the mail .Now they send  a lousy remote it controls my TV and STB. What is Verizon thinking its 2 more buttons on a remote .Wow that must save them a bundle . CHEAP !!! Im really irritated with Verizon  penny pinching its customers. I spend a bundle every month to them and this is what there customers get in return Verizon is getting to be a joke

Does this mean I need to have 2 remotes now . What is everybody doing for this I would like to know ?

Larry

0 Likes
Re: Remote
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would venture that most people that are controlling setups with multiple components are using a programmable remote like something from Logitech Harmony lineup.

While I can't speak to the specific reasons why they switched remotes, I can imagine it has something to do with the change in functionality of the remote -- the new remotes have a different method for device setup vs the old ones.  In short trade one set of features for another.   That and the every changing landscape of TV's and other devices -- which makes remotes quickly obsolete as new codes, etc. come on the market.  These are just branded remotes -- stock items that aren't manufactured specifically for Verizon.

As for your 4-button requirement ... there are two solutions if you just must have this particular model.  On the same screen where you can order a new remote via the In Home Agent, there is a link to jump over to the Verizon store and purchase a new 4-button remote at a reasonable cost.  These remotes are also frequently listed for sale on online auction sites and other e-tailers and can be had really cheap as well (I bought a 3-pack of them a year or so ago for something like $10).  Just search for FiOS Remote.

As for what I do ... in the bedrooms, I have 4 button remotes (TV, STB, and DVD).  In my office and kitchen, two button remotes (just TV and STB).  In the family room, a Logitech Harmony 880 (TV,STB,DVD, Home Entertainment, PS/3 - via a Logitech Harmony Adapter which translates the IR to bluetooth, and  a ROKU -- plus a Wii, but you can't control that with an RF remote).   The Harmony takes care of turning each device on/off and making sure everything is set to the proper selection to watch whatever it is I select -- which makes it easier to use than trying to explain to everyone in the household how to perform each activity.

The remotes are interchangeable, so you can easily take a 4-button remote from one location which only needs a 2-button remote and use it in another if you have multiple boxes in the house.

Re: Remote
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As lasagna stated, most people with multiple devides are using 3rd party remotes. Reported reason from Verizon for chanign the remotes is that it was too complicated for enough people. They were getting enough calls to support to warrant a design change.

I think the issue is that people might hit the other buttons (either by accident or trying to do something else) and then would lose functionality.

Seems like some of us have to pay of the sins of the technology challenged.

0 Likes