Re: Set SD Override To Off Everyday
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

What I notice on the front of the 7232 when it is off and I turn on the AVR the display reads dUI, then when I turn on the TV it reads dUI again, then I turned on the box and it still was in 480i mode, not off like I set.  Why if it is looking for a set that can handle an advanced signal would it set to 480i and not off?  If it was an older set would it even be able to display that?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@doropallo wrote:

What I notice on the front of the 7232 when it is off and I turn on the AVR the display reads dUI, then when I turn on the TV it reads dUI again, then I turned on the box and it still was in 480i mode, not off like I set.  Why if it is looking for a set that can handle an advanced signal would it set to 480i and not off?  If it was an older set would it even be able to display that?

What's happening is exactly according to the HDMI specification.  The dvi on the front of the STB (it's not really dui even though it looks like it) is indicating the handshake in progress.  If the receiver comes on first, it does not pass through the TV's resolution capabilities during the HDMI handshake (since the TV is not on), and the STB sees only what the receiver's capabilities for the RECEIVER'S INTERNAL video are (480i) and sets the SD override for that.  Turning the TV on subsequently initiates another HDMI handshake (which is why you see the second dvi), but since the prior HDMI source (the receiver) was not turned off, the receiver's 480i source remains in effect even though there's a 1080p TV upstream from it.

I have the same situation with a Denon receiver.  The solution that works, and has been said to work for others with a Yamaha receiver like yourself, is to ensure that the TV is turned on FIRST, the receiver second, and the STB third.  I have set my FiOS remote to do this and it works fine, unless I'm stupid and don't point the remote correctly, and only one or two of the three components receives the on command.  Then it's likely the SD ovveride has reset to 480i.  Those who use Harmony remotes program in delays before turing on the STB in their macro sequences to ensure the TV comes on first, then the receiver, and finally the STB.

doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

I like that solution, and while I can follow those steps there is a low chance the remaining humans in my house can.  My wife will just push the right button that turns on the STB and TV in one click and then the AVR on the separate remote.  If I buy the Verizon remote that controls 4 different sources can it be programmed to turn on the boxes in the correct order?  Is there instructions that come with?  Thanks for your help.

PJL
Master - Level 3

@doropallo wrote:

I like that solution, and while I can follow those steps there is a low chance the remaining humans in my house can.  My wife will just push the right button that turns on the STB and TV in one click and then the AVR on the separate remote.  If I buy the Verizon remote that controls 4 different sources can it be programmed to turn on the boxes in the correct order?  Is there instructions that come with?  Thanks for your help.

I use the Verizon 4-button remote and it works this way for me.  This remote allows you to program to turn on sequence in the order you want.  Although Verizon is not providing the 4-button remotes these days, you can but one from their web site https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts.  The current price is $6.95 plus shipping of $5.50 for my location via USPS.

Justin46
Legend

@PJL wrote:

I use the Verizon 4-button remote and it works this way for me.  This remote allows you to program to turn on sequence in the order you want.  Although Verizon is not providing the 4-button remotes these days, you can but one from their web site https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts.  The current price is $6.95 plus shipping of $5.50 for my location via USPS.

A very good suggestion from PJL I think. For completeness, here is the information from the instructions for the remote about setting the sequence of power on/off for the 4-button Verizon remote:

If you want the Power Key to control multiple devices with a single power key press…
1. Press and hold the STB key.
2. While holding down the STB key, press OK.
3. Release both keys. The Device Keys will blink twice.
4. Press 9 - 7 - 7. The STB key will blink twice.
5. One after the other, press each Device Key you want the Power Key to control in the order you want them to turn on or off.
6. Press OK when done. The STB key will blink 3 times to indicate success in programming.

Or of course you can somehow convince the family members to do things in the right sequence like maybe threaten them with no TV for a week or something? Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

mike1012

Unfortunately the proposed solution, i.e. the order of the equipment, does not work for me because even with only the TV and the receiver on, the DVI code appears  although the STB is not on. The SD override changes to 480i from OFF. This is very annoying....

0 Likes
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

I agree it is extremely annoying and it should not be the default setting.  I get tired of resetting the settings every single day.  The option of getting the 4 device remote never panned out, I ordered it and never got it.  Was promised it would be taken care of and that never happened either.  In the end I am out the price of the remote and shipping and learned never to order from Verizon again and accept the loss as a lesson learned.

0 Likes