Some info that may be useful for those having media manager playback issues
paps33
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm posting this here because it didn't seem that this fit to any single thread category related to media manager. And if it is something that has already been discussed I apologize. A search turned up nothing for me.

Having just gotten fios I decided to investigate media manager, so I installed the latest version (9.9.94) of the software on one of my pcs. Right from the start I was having media manager playback issues. In my case there was quite slow navigation between menu/selection items and very intense stuttering during playback. I looked here and elsewhere for potential solutions, but found nothing that fixed my problem(s).

I then decided to use Wireshark to try and see what was going on in terms of the network activity related to media manager. One thing that popped out at me right away was that during attempted playback the pc running media manager was constantly sending out a lot of netbios name queries, Specifically, "MYROUTER.HOME" was being queried non-stop. OK fine, the software is looking for my router. Except for one thing: my router's (Actiontec MI424WR Rev. F) hostname is not MYROUTER nor (in my case) is the local domain name HOME, thus MYROUTER.HOME is never going to be found. So the software was spinning its wheels trying to query  a host (host/domain) that did not exist. Now I can only speak for the router version I have, but the factory default for its hostname is Wireless_Broadband_Router (not MYROUTER). So it would seem that by default the media manager software has a problem in that it is hardcoded to look for a non-existent host (and there's no way to reconfigure this ).

Anyway... In an attempt to address what was going on I created a hosts file and put an entry in it with the ip address (192.168.1.1) of my router and a host/domain name of MYROUTER.HOME associated with it. Bingo, that did the trick. The flood of network queries stopped and all my navigation/playback issues seemed to have been resolved  I could have also just logged in to the router and changed the hostname there, but I opted for my hosts file solution instead.

So,

1) I think the media manager software needs to be changed so that it can handle more than just a host/domain name of MYROUTER.HOME for the router.

2) People having playback issues may want to see if my solution(s) here works for them.

Re: Some info that may be useful for those having media manager playback issues
Ian_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

paps33,

Thank you very much for the information you've provided us.  I'm sure that someone out there is having an issue where this will come in handy.  I will be sure to pass the information along to the proper group so that we can investigate, and prevent your issue from occurring with other customers.  Thanks again!

0 Likes