VERIZON I want compensation for BETA testing your buggy software!!!!
JKCOOL
Enthusiast - Level 2

WARNING to future and present customers. DO NOT upgrade to FIOS Quantum. The only good thing is it can record 6 programs at a time. BUT just try and choose those programs through the guide will cause you heartache. The media server has very poor performance, slow guide, slow selecting and recording a program. Try and delete, sometimes you can wait and wait. Select a program to record, wait wait, then says Loading..wait wait wait wait wait wait. Sometimes it gets marked for recording other times not. Yes, I went through replacing the media server and having a tech come out to check all the cabling. Still the same, a piece of junk.

VERIZON I want compensation for BETA testing your buggy software!!!!

{edited for privacy}

P.S. You are allowed to record up to a terabyte of programming. But if you switch media servers all the recorded programming is lost. No way to transfer to the new one, why? Licensing issues. UGH! Give me a break. Isn't the content encrypted? Why not just use a swappable hard drive.

FYI - I am hoping this message gets picked up by google search bot.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VERIZON I want compensation for BETA testing your buggy software!!!!
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bhenry001 wrote:

WARNING to future and present customers. DO NOT upgrade to FIOS Quantum. The only good thing is it can record 6 programs at a time. BUT just try and choose those programs through the guide will cause you heartache. The media server has very poor performance, slow guide, slow selecting and recording a program. ...

Many are not seeing such huge delays. There does appear to be a memory leak or process that gets out of control some of the time.  The temporary fix is to go to the menu item to fix and reboot the VMS every so often (about once or week or after it starts misbehaving).  Similar problems on lots of other boxes even early Tivo's.

New fixes are rolling out that MAY help fix this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't think there is any provider out there that allows you to swap a DVR and keep your recordings.

Unless the reocrdings are in the cloud.

Which has its own issues.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

Don't think there is any provider out there that allows you to swap a DVR and keep your recordings.

Unless the reocrdings are in the cloud.

Which has its own issues.

Dish does or at least use to.  You could archive the recordings to a connected external hard drive and then move the the drive to any DVR in the household And you could unarchive to the new DVR.  External hard drive married to the household and not to a specific DVR.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bhenry001 wrote:

WARNING to future and present customers. DO NOT upgrade to FIOS Quantum. The only good thing is it can record 6 programs at a time. BUT just try and choose those programs through the guide will cause you heartache. The media server has very poor performance, slow guide, slow selecting and recording a program. ...

Many are not seeing such huge delays. There does appear to be a memory leak or process that gets out of control some of the time.  The temporary fix is to go to the menu item to fix and reboot the VMS every so often (about once or week or after it starts misbehaving).  Similar problems on lots of other boxes even early Tivo's.

New fixes are rolling out that MAY help fix this.

0 Likes
JKCOOL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the replies!

Note: I was told the external hard drive connection on the Quantum Media server is disabled. So moving to an external drive is not possible.

We have had Verizon Fios since it came to our neighborhood. The "Legacy System" had a lot of the same issues and were eventually fixed over the years. I thought I would upgrade and have a nice new high quality system.  WRONG! It appears they have started all over and did not learn anything from the past.

And I bet they saved a nickle on each box by putting in a lesser main processor. OR the progammers were pushed to get this done so hard the programming is sloppy. OR mabye both.  Memory leak is the sign of sloppy programming. BINGO!

0 Likes
CUSTOMER SERVICE and Switching Media Servers and the LIE they tell you
JKCOOL
Enthusiast - Level 2

All,

I would like to alert those using Verzion FIOS services about a LIE the Verizon Technical Service tells you about switching media server (DVR). 

See My Pervious complaint.  To further troubleshoot my problems I was told to try a new Media Server.  I said I have recorded content and just wanted to try the new media server to see if it would fix my issues and if it didn't wanted to reactive my original one and send back the newly recieved media server.  I was told there should be no problem with this. WELL, the new media server arrived and I wanted to troubleshoot on the weekend when I have time.  By the weekend the current media server was automatically disabled. Ugh! OK, just at the right time so I will swap and see if it works any better. NOPE, nothing had changed everything worked just as bad as before.

I called FIOS Technical support and asked to reactive my old box so I could send the new one back. They told me I need to speak with billing.  I said "What? WHY?" I said, "Please, just reactive my original media server so I can watch the content I recorded last night and on Monday I will send back the newer one I recieved."  Technical Support told me "I am sorry to inform you, all the recorded content on the original DVR is lost."  I said, "How can that be! I was told the original one could be reactivated!"  "Sorry Sir, but you were mis-informed." 

I continued to troubleshoot and a Verizon Tech was dispatched to my house.  I could go on, the END RESULT was the original media server (DVR) was reactived, all my content was still there and I sent the original back.

SO YES! The media server CAN BE REACTVIATED. Even the legacy DVR can be reactived with the new Quantum attached.  My understanding was they are not suppose to work together because of the MOCA version difference.  Whatever.  I worked.

YOU JUST NEED TO GET A HOLD OF THE RIGHT PERSON AT VERIZON to help you.

Bruce

0 Likes