Verizon FIOS Cablebox Power consumption
Ghopper1

Wondering if anyone has any best practices on limiting the power consumption from the FIOS cable boxes?  I understand the need for the set top boxes to be available for guide downloads, software maintenance, and DVR activities but was curious if anyone has experimented with placing timers on the outlets.  For example: set a timer on the outlet to turn the power off from say 9pm to 6am to save power while you’re not watching it.

I recently went on vacation and had unplugged the set top boxes for 5 days and they started up just fine.

Some recent coverage in the news on this topic: http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/nrdc-cable-boxes-guzzle-more-energy-than-new-refrigerator...

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Cablebox Power consumption
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Should be no issue by turning it off every day. Do you plan to turn off every TV in your house as well? They tend to use a fair amount also.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Cablebox Power consumption
Justin46
Legend

Here is a link to a recent thread on the subject of FiOS power consumption:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/My-Verizon-Account-Residential/Will-my-electricity-bill-go-up-using-Ver...

Here is an extract of some of the info from that thread:

I did a quick search on the various current Motorola STBs and the Actiontec router, and found the following information on energy consumption in the spec sheets:

Motorola QIP7100 P2:            20W (my preliminary measurement on this model is approx. 16W)

Motorola QIP7232:                  25W

Actiontec router:                     16W

My experience beyond what is above is that the power consumption of the Verizon STBs varies very little whether they are turned on or off. Now if you actually remove power from an STB by pulling the power plug or turning off a power strip it is attached to, then sure, you will save whatever electricity they would have consumed. But to me that small return is just not worth the effort. Plus, if you have a DVR, you need to keep power to it to record anything,

There is some additional info in the thread I linked above that might be of interest.

Keller, TX 76248