Verizon Landline Junction Box In My Basement
techinneed

Hello all,

I live in a condo complex that only offers Cablevision.

I have a Vzn junction box in my basement wall for landline connections.  There is also a Vzn FIOS box hanging from a telephone right across the street from the main entrance into the complex.  Everyone residing around the complex can get Verizon FIOS but it seems like no one in the condo complex can get FIOS.

Is there any way that I can get Verizon FIOS using my Vzn landline junction box?  I remember when I lived in another part of NJ, and had FIOS, the technicians were able to use the same type of junction box that I currently have to connect to the fiber in the street.  I have a photo of the junction box if anyone wants to check this for me.

Just tired of having only one option with CV and I really dislike their service.

If anyone can help that would be great! 

Thanks!

JP

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Landline Junction Box In My Basement
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@techinneed wrote:

... I live in a condo complex that only offers Cablevision ... I have a Vzn junction box in my basement wall for landline connections.  There is also a Vzn FIOS box hanging from a telephone right across the street from the main entrance into the complex ... no one in the condo complex can get FIOS.

Is there any way that I can get Verizon FIOS using my Vzn landline junction box? ... 

No.

0 Likes
techinneed

Thanks for the reply.

Why not?  What needs to exist before FIOS is determined to work or not.

Looking for a more technical reply.

Thanks!

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@techinneed wrote:

... Why not?  What needs to exist before FIOS is determined to work or not ... Looking for a more technical reply ... 

OK, here's a "technical" reply.  The box in your basement is for your telephone (according to your own words).  It is not for FiOS TV and Internet.  The box across the street is for FiOS TV and Internet (according to your own words).  It is not in your building.  The two boxes are unrelated to each other (although on a clear day they can probably see each other).  Unless your building is in the register for allocated FiOS service, you're out of luck.

Hope that fills the need for a "technical" answer.

techinneed

Sort of, thanks.

Can't Verizon bond the wires in the junction box to get the  ethernet pairs working?

I believe that's how they got it to work at my other place.  This condo and the house that I lived in before, were built in the same year so the junction boxes were the same.

Not sure why this is difference.

The junction box I have has six (6) pairs of lines from the street, and those wires are wired through the condo.

If this would not work, then what is needed in your basement to get FIOS?  In this part of NJ, FIOS was available in 2006.  So how can a house built in the same year of 1998, have the same junction box and get FIOS, but I cannot.

How is any home built before 2000 have the facility to get FIOS?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For houses, the run fiber from the pole to the house. Terminate it in a box called an ONT (Optical Network Terminal).

It provides Internet via Ethernet or coax, phone service over 2 wires and cable TV over coax.

I am not exactly sure how FIOS is distributed in a multi-unit building (but I am sure others can comment).

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
brundienew

I have the same issue.  I understand the ONT device needs to be installed.But what I do not understand is if a house was built in 1998, how would it have the material to connect to the FIOS.

I thought the ONT gets installed at your house in time of the FIOS installation.  I also thought the in-house landlines will be wired into an RJ45 end which will connect the ONT.

I guess I am trying to understand more as to why older homes are able to get FIOS just by having a junction box.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@brundienew wrote:

... I understand the ONT device needs to be installed ... if a house was built in 1998, how would it have the material to connect to the FIOS [?] ... 

If a house was built in 1998, it cannot have the "material" to connect to FiOS, unless that "material" (i.e., the ONT and related wiring) was installed by Verizon at a later date when FiOS became available at that location.  What evidence leads you to think otherwise?

@brundienew wrote:

I thought the ONT gets installed at your house in time of the FIOS installation ...

That is correct as stated above.

@brundienew wrote:

... .  I also thought the in-house landlines will be wired into an RJ45 end which will connect the ONT ...

That is also correct, although I am not quite getting the reason why this is entering into the discussion.

@brundienew wrote:

... I guess I am trying to understand more as to why older homes are able to get FIOS just by having a junction box ...

This is not possible, and after re-reading the discussion a few times, I'm unable to see why you think this might be possible.  In fact the OP was advised of this no fewer than three times.
IOW, what is your specific question?
0 Likes
dnwklin

Using VDSL?

0 Likes
brundienew

I guess what I am trying to say is when the ONT gets installed at your home, how does it connect out to the Verizon fiber in the street?  I was the second owner of this home built in 1998.  I bought the home is 2006.  The previous owner used Cablevision as a service.

When the "Verizon" techs came to my home, all they did was install the ONT by the exisiting landline junction box.  Connected both boxes together cia RJ45 cable.  Ran another RJ45 cable through a conduit that led up to my first floor to install the AiroTech WiFi router, and then connected a coax from the ONT to up to where the cable box existed.

Is "fiber" actually run straight to the home from the street and\or pole?  Or is it copper from the home to the street when it gets converted to fiber via some type switch or media converter.

Sorry for all the questions.

0 Likes