Vizio with no HD audio
L_Albers2003

After a lot of back and forth with cables and a new box we have determined that the issue is with our TV.  I saw on the VIZIO website "change the audio out setting to PCM or L-PCM."  Tried doing that but nothing.  Does anyone else have any issues with their TV/HD cable?  If so how did you fix the problem???  Pointless to pay for a HD box if we can't hear anything!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Vizio with no HD audio
Hubo_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

I hope you guys don't mind that I jump in 🙂

Lasagna is right switching the STB to L-PCM mode should do the trick.  You want to go into the 'User Settings' of the STB in one of two ways.  Hit power, select then menu on the box itself (one after another) or if the FiOS remote is closer to you hit power, OK then menu. You want to do this while the box is on.  This should get you to a white users menu screen, go down to 'additional HDMI settings' hit the right arrow and then to  'Output Audio', hitting the right arrow will toggle the audio to L-PCM. Afterwards just power the box off and back on and that will save the settings.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

@L_Albers2003 wrote:

After a lot of back and forth with cables and a new box we have determined that the issue is with our TV.  I saw on the VIZIO website "change the audio out setting to PCM or L-PCM."  Tried doing that but nothing.  Does anyone else have any issues with their TV/HD cable?  If so how did you fix the problem???  Pointless to pay for a HD box if we can't hear anything!!

Is this with an HDMI cable? I have two Vizio TVs both less than six months old and they work flawlessly with HDMI and QIP-7100-1. Please post the model numbers of your equipment and type of connection. Possible solution and last resort would be to use component cables and stereo audio cables. But that is not a fix. We need more detail.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Change the audio out on the STB to L-PCM -- is that where you changed it?    You have to use the special hidden menu on the STB to do this (there's a post or two here that I wrote a while back on that .... I'll have to dig it up).  Changing the setting on the TV itself does nothing.

I have a Vizio in my home office -- works fine with my 6xxx series STB.

Hubo_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

I hope you guys don't mind that I jump in 🙂

Lasagna is right switching the STB to L-PCM mode should do the trick.  You want to go into the 'User Settings' of the STB in one of two ways.  Hit power, select then menu on the box itself (one after another) or if the FiOS remote is closer to you hit power, OK then menu. You want to do this while the box is on.  This should get you to a white users menu screen, go down to 'additional HDMI settings' hit the right arrow and then to  'Output Audio', hitting the right arrow will toggle the audio to L-PCM. Afterwards just power the box off and back on and that will save the settings.

I hope this helps!

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I usually recommend doing this on the box front panel itself rather than the remote since most people have the "power" button on the remote linked together such that the STB and TV power on/off together.  I've found, and 2 out of 3 experts would agree, that it's a tad bit more difficult to see the menu on the TV screen if the TV powers off as you execute the sequence.  Smiley Very Happy

Hubo_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

Ha! I was playing with the new FiOS remote and the thought never crossed my mind, I will stay in my own sandbox from now on 🙂

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually, we're all quite glad you guys are here James ...   thanks for digging up the sequence.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

James

I actually like the new remotes and the old remotes I always had to unlink the two power on off sequences. If you were not pointing at both devices properly at the same time, one would switch without the other. Then they would be out of sync. So switching the device on the remote and then using the power buton was a pain. Seperate power buttons are better.

Sorry for straying from the topic.Smiley Wink

0 Likes
L_Albers2003

Thank you for all the advice.  We got it working!!!!  Took a few times to get the screen to pop up but finally got it.  Thank you again........You guys rock!!!

0 Likes
paulandjean

Where do you find a "menu" button on the set top box? All I could find was the power button, and another buttom with 4 way arrows. Tried pushing that, but nothing happened? We have the same problem...change channels, and the sound goes out. We have a Vizio TV set.  I can push the "power" button no problem, but where is the "menu" button referred to?

0 Likes