Youtube videos error message
mikeybruises

When I attempt play most youtube videos, I get red hand and a message that states there is an error with playing this video.  This has been going on every since Verizon has introduced this feature.  I ignored it thinking they were trying to work out all of the bugs. So today December 28, 2010 decided to give the widget another try, still the same problem.  Even when one  video did play, the choppiness of the video was so bad, it was unviewable.  Has anyone else experienced this problem and does someone at Verizon have a solution?

0 Likes
Re: Youtube videos error message
vz_ric
Contributor - Level 1

A lot of trouble with the youtube widget and similar interactive features can be corrected by making sure your home network and devices are properly configured so they can communicate as they should. Here's the link to the Media Manager site, it has photos and videos that show you how the widgets work, how the home network should be configured and how to troubleshoot some basic issues that may come up.

https://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/unprotected/mediamanager.aspx?CMP=DMC-CVZ_ZZ_FT_Z_DO_N_X001

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

also if you are wireless on your pc and doing youtube, - then that may be a contributing factor.

if you're wireless on that pc that is doing media manager and youtube then try changing the channels of the wireless signal.  you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it.

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.,

after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

0 Likes
mikeybruises

Thanks for your response but my PC is connected directly to router via an ethernet cable.

0 Likes
mikeybruises

I appreciate the response, however the link you provide would seem to suggest that their might be connection problem. As I stated in my post, some youtube videos play, but in many instances their choppy.  My PC is connected directly to router via ethernet cable so wireless configuration do not apply.  Do have any other possible solutions to suggest.

0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

Try reinstalling Media Manager (uninstall first if you wish).  Bet that will work.  Unfortunately I have the same problem, and though I sound like a broken record, it never was resolved.  I had to reinstall M.M. every day, so I just gave up on it.

0 Likes
Gerry_A

Im experiencing the same issue. I hope this gets resolved. It's a cool feature and unfortunate this is happening. youtube vids aren't the only videos I'm having problems with... I'm also having issues with my own videos. Sometimes ill get my videos or youtube videos to play by exiting the media manager on the box and starting it up again, but it will usually fail after trying to play the next video.

The Verizon software is on a PC with a wired connection. I'm a network engineer by trade, so I know there is no issue with my network or PC.

I've found a ton of posts across the net regarding this issue. I hope its resolved quickly. reinstalling does not work... I tried it twice.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If it's wired and super choppy, then it could be a cabling issue, or a router problem.  the router transmits this media manager on the coax cable, but at a higher frequency than broadcast tv, so if that frequency is seeing noise or issues, then it will reflect when you are playing your video.  So what you want to do is reset the router, change the firewall setting to low IN the router, and reboot the cable box that you're trying to play it on.    (you also want the latest version of media manager installed on your PC)

if that doesn't help, and you aren't too familiar with coax wiring or splitters, then you should call tech support 800 VERIZON or do the Live CHAT 

If you're familiar with wiring then you want to make sure that you have no amplifiers, as little splitters as possible (1000mhz rated and higher) and tri or quad shielded rg6 coax cable. make sure your connectors are disconnected cleaned and reconnected, and see if the problem still exists. 

0 Likes
Gerry_A

My FIOS service was installed a little over a week ago. There is only one splitter (one in, three out- two STB's and one router), and all of the lines installed by the installer are new. I don't know what the rating of the splitter is, but it was provided by Verizon, so I expect it to be up to spec.

I'm not sure how setting the firewall settings to low on the router will help. If the first video plays and subsequent videos do not without exiting and restarting the media manager on the STB, it safe to say it's not the firewall and likely not the connection, but I'll give it a shot anyway, along with the other stuff you recommended.

Thanks.

Gerry

0 Likes