box needs reset occasionally because of hdmi cable?
helpmeplease4

Hello, Our box needs reset occasionally after trying to watch something on dvr or on demand.  Sometimes it will be a couple times a week, others times it will be several weeks in between.  I called fios support and they told me that it was because we use an hdmi cable instead of a component cable to connect the box to our receiver.  

Do the set top boxes really not fully support hdmi?  And if not, why do they even have an Hdmi out and why did the Verizon installer connect it with a hdmi cable? 

Could it be anything else?  Unfortunately, using a component cable really isn't an option with our receiver.  And resetting is a pain to do on a semi regular basis.

0 Likes
Re: box needs reset occasionally because of hdmi cable?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

there's a possiblity that your problem is related to a video setting in the set top box.

give it a shot and let us know if it works, 

go to menu > settings > video settings > SDOVERRIDE = make sure the checkmark is next to 'OFF'

and then try it again.  

0 Likes
helpmeplease4

Thanks for the suggestion, but it was already set to off.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Try it on 480i. Tvs favor one resolution over another. Its possible your tv doesn't like managing the res type and would rather it be defined
0 Likes
helpmeplease4

Perhaps it doesn't like managing the resolution, but I pay for a high def  box and have a high def tv and would like to use it.  And I never had a problem with comcast, with the same set up, so I think  I would just switch back to comcast before I settle for 480 instead of 1080. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the 480 is only for SD channels.  It's called SD override, because it only affects your standard def (SD) channels.   High definition is unaffected by this change, and your high definition settings is under video format instead of SD override. 

0 Likes