home pre-wiring
donjean

I am a semi-techie, my home is already wired for 1) telephone 2) DirecTV 3) Antenna RF 4) ethernet.  The terminus of each network is in a different area.  I really hate having outsiders come in to my home to do wiring, so I am trying to figure out exactly what wires will be coming into the house from the box on the outside wall and where they will need to go.

I have ordered Verizon Triple Play with only 1 DVR, I may add an HD box at a later date.

I just want to know what type of wires and how many will need to pierce the outside wall and their functions.

Thanks in Advance

0 Likes
Re: home pre-wiring
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

If your box is mounted outside only 2 lines will be required.  These are a coax and the feed from the battery bacup power supply which is usually mounted inside.

FiOS uses MoCA for its WAN connection (Multimedia Over Coax) so the "preferred" connection for their installers is all coaxial.  The router they provide will require a coax connection and of course any STB will also require it.  If you search the forum I am sure you will be able to find many posts describing the structure of a FiOS home network.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

You will probably also need a Cat3 lead from your telephone network at the ONT if you are adding FiOS VoIP.  I don't believe you can take VoIP off the MoCA coax, but I am no expert on this.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@armond_in_nj wrote:

You will probably also need a Cat3 lead from your telephone network at the ONT if you are adding FiOS VoIP.  I don't believe you can take VoIP off the MoCA coax, but I am no expert on this.

You can only have 1 type of WAN - either CAT-5 or MoCA, the ONT does not support dual WAN connections.  AFAIK VOIP does not care or know how it it gets to the net, just that it can.

0 Likes
nj_taxpayer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Keyboards wrote: "You can only have 1 type of WAN - either CAT-5 or MoCA, the ONT does not support dual WAN connections. AFAIK VOIP does not care or know how it it gets to the net, just that it can."

The previous writer mentioned Cat3, not Cat5.  How does Cat5 enter into the telephone wiring?  Of course Cat5 can be used for telephone and often is these days, but it is not required.  Another way of phrasing my question is:  "Can FiOS VoIP gain access off a coax lead as your post suggests, or must it be connected directly to the ONT (which is how the techs rigged my setup)?

Thanks..

Hubrisnxs
Legend

as far as the actual wiring, they use Tri-shield or quad-shield RG6 coax typically (on occasion rg59 if it's in superb shape and the numbers match up when they are done hooking things to it)

5-1000MHz splitter. If you buy a larger splitter and don't plan on using all the ports, you need to cap (terminate) the un-used ports.

0 Likes