quantum TV upgrade record shows from client?
BenS

im interested in upgrading to quantum tv and would like to know, from someone that has the service, if recodings can be made from each cable box.  for example the upgrade I am interested in has 1 server and 2 clients.  If the server is in my den and a clent is in my basement can i record a program from my bsaement or do i have to go to my den and record the program...I belive this is the case and if so makes no sense to me.  

0 Likes
Re: quantum TV upgrade record shows from client?
glbarlow1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't do it - see my post on how quantum is a downgrade.

Yes in theory you can record and view programs from any client.  They are all stored on the main box.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Different folks have different experiences and opinions on Quantum.

I have it (upgraded to it because I had a DVR and needed more than 2 tuners to record).

I am generally happy with the service.

Could have some improvements.

But getting back to yuor question. All the tuners and therefore recordings are on the server.

The clients just slave to the tuners in the server.

So you can have up to 6 live shows going at once (between recordings and viewing).

So even if you are watching 3 live shows (server and 2 clients) you can still have 3 more recording.

0 Likes
BenS

Thanks for the info.  after reading your post I am even more confused on what to do.  Some people like the service and others don't.  I guess it depends on what you had before the switch.  

What I really  want to know is can I record a show from ANY of the TV's.  Or must all recordings be made from the server.

I now have 3 independent DVRs.  I can record shows from any of the TVs.  (I know I cannot watch the shows across all the TV's but that is ok).  

Can anyone confirm that they can record a show from a client?  The answer to this  will help me decide what I want to do.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@BenS wrote:

Thanks for the info.  after reading your post I am even more confused on what to do.  Some people like the service and others don't.  I guess it depends on what you had before the switch.  

What I really  want to know is can I record a show from ANY of the TV's.  Or must all recordings be made from the server.

I now have 3 independent DVRs.  I can record shows from any of the TVs.  (I know I cannot watch the shows across all the TV's but that is ok).  

Can anyone confirm that they can record a show from a client?  The answer to this  will help me decide what I want to do.

I have one VMS1100 Server and two IPC1100 clients, with the most current software upgrade. To be as complete as I can:

From the VMS itself, I can do everything - schedule recordings via the Guide or directly while watching a program, I can view recordings, I can manage recordings (delete, play from the start, resume play, use the Chaptering function. etc.)

I can also do all of the above from any client.

I have had Quantum TV since early April 2014, it was pretty satisfactory to me from the start but Verizon has delivered a number of software upgrades, which for me have always made things better. There are still customers who do have problems with their Quantum TV setup, I don't understand why (and they don't either), I think they have cabling issues or splitter issues, etc., something unique to their installation. At this point I really only have five minor issues:

1) sometimes it takes a little extra time for the box to respond to a key press on the remote, maybe 2-3 seconds

2) occasionally it will totally ignore a key press or read one key press as two

3) The Auto Tune function to automatically switch to the HD version of a channel if I enter the SD channel number has a bug where it goes to the SD channel if I use the Channel + or - key after using Auto Tune while using a Favorites list

4) When displaying a list of recordings, it fails to display one recording if I use the Channel + or - keys to navigate the list, I can see the recording in the list if I use the Up/Down buttons on the remote

5) Going out more than maybe 9 or 10 days in the Guide gets very, very slow, it takes quite a while to populate each day in the Guide after that, sometimes 30 seconds or more. But once it has been populated the response is ok.

If you look around here you will find people posting all kinds of these awful stories, yet if you actually count the number of people complaining it really is very small compared to the hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of users of Quantum TV. It is just human nature to complain more than to compliment.

And FWIW I believe Verizon is committed to fixing whatever problems exist today.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes