set top boxes
brevets
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do I have to rent a Verizon set top box, or can I buy one from Best Buy and use it for my FIOS TV servic?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: set top boxes
Justin46
Legend

@brevets wrote:

Do I have to rent a Verizon set top box, or can I buy one from Best Buy and use it for my FIOS TV servic?

You cannot use any STB you buy from anywhere.

Now, if your TV has a QAM tuner (check the manual or website if you don't know) then you can get your local channels in SD and HD without an STB, but nothing else.

If all you want is SD channels and no Guide, VOD, or Widgets, then you can rent a DCT700 from Verizon, their cheapest STB.

Otherwise you must rent an HD STB or DVR (Verizon does not offer an SD STB any longer).

And one last option, if your TV will accept a Cablecard (probably not, but might), you can rent one of those from Verizon.

You need to go to Verizons website and see what the various options are. And there are some additional options, like buying a Tivo and then using a Cablecard from Verizon, but it sounds to me like you are just getting started and want a low-cost option, which Tivo generally is not.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Re: set top boxes
Justin46
Legend

@brevets wrote:

You cannot use any STB you buy from anywhere.

Now, if your TV has a QAM tuner (check the manual or website if you don't know) then you can get your local channels in SD and HD without an STB, but nothing else.

If all you want is SD channels and no Guide, VOD, or Widgets, then you can rent a DCT700 from Verizon, their cheapest STB.

Otherwise you must rent an HD STB or DVR (Verizon does not offer an SD STB any longer).

And one last option, if your TV will accept a Cablecard (probably not, but might), you can rent one of those from Verizon.

You need to go to Verizons website and see what the various options are. And there are some additional options, like buying a Tivo and then using a Cablecard from Verizon, but it sounds to me like you are just getting started and want a low-cost option, which Tivo generally is not.

Keller, TX 76248