Be More Polite
Samskara
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to send this directly to customer relations, but since I don't have an address, I think this might be a suitable place to post it.  Yesterday I contacted Verizon about a a notice I'd received from my bank that my Verizon account number had changed.  I wanted to verify this, so I called Verizon and wound up with the billing department.  I was asked if I wanted to pay my bill, and said that I did not -- that using electronic payment I had scheduled the money to be transferred from my bank on the last business day before the bill is due.  The system is quite reliable, and I presume it saves money for the bank and Verizon since they don;t have to process checks.  I've been quite a responsible customer over the years  -- every bill paid in full before the due date.

This morning I got an e-mail:

Dear Verizon Customer,

Your payment arrangement on Verizon account ending in XXXX has been noted.  You agreed to pay XXXX on XXXXX.

We would like to stress the importance of keeping this payment arrangement to avoid receiving a suspension letter and/or possible interruption of service.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

Now this really does seem like the kind of letter that would be sent to a delinquent customer whose bill is overdue and who has agreed to make a payment.  Maybe I'm being petty, but I found it impersonal and rude.  Your representative presumably had my records going back decades with every payment made in full and on time, and when your representative asked if I wanted to pay my bill I simply replied that I did not, that I had something else on my mind.  Under the circumstances, I find the tone of this e-mail very inappropriate.

That's it.  I'm not asking for thanks for paying my bills on time, but I do think that even a mega-corporation should be more polite.

Labels (1)
0 Likes