Billed for FIOS TV after I returned equipment and discontinued
rckrdg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Please help me.  I have been a Verizon customer for more than 15 years, with Internet, residential as well as wireless phone service.  On June 23, 2015, I signed up for Verizon FIOS TV.  I was told by the Verizon representative that I could do a self-install, it was easy.  The order was set up for me to pick up the equipment at a local Verizon store.  I picked up the equipment on June 24, and attempted to install FIOS TV, but got no further on the screen, than “Welcome to FIOS TV’. I contacted the help desk, and it was determined that a technician needed to come out.  An appointment was made for Friday, June 26. 

I then contacted my current cable provider to cancel my service, and several concessions and accommodations were made to retain me as a customer, of which I could not refuse.  I then decided to cancel FIOS TV, and this is where my nightmare begins.

Events as they happened: 

(1) I contacted Verizon June 24, and a ticket was written up to cancel Ticket Number.   

(2) I then cancelled the appointment with the technician; and

(3)  I returned all the equipment to the Verizon store on June 25. 

To my surprise, I receive my bill, and I am being billed for FIOS TV.  I contacted Verizon by chat on Monday, July 13.   I explained the situation, and was told that FIOS TV had never been cancelled.  The representative proceeded to go through the process of cancelling FIOS TV, and reverting my service back to internet and landline phone service.  At no time did this agent inform me that this was a new contract.  She assured me that everything was cancelled, and that my bill would be adjusted.  I received a confirmation email with the estimated charges, and this is where I see that I am under a new contract for a “Double Play” service, which includes FIOS Internet and Digital Voice.  But to my further surprise, for the 8/7 bill, I am being charged  a one-time fee of $34.50 for what I don’t know and  a FIOS TV activation fee @ $69.99, installment 2 of  three for $23.00, and my estimated bill is not $225, but now $182.70 with other taxes and fees.

Concerned with this email, I then placed a call to Verizon on July 13 at around 6:30 pm.  The agent’s name was Summer.  I then had to repeat everything that has happened.  She goes over my account, and it is clear to me that she has no clue as to what to do, or what to tell me.  She tells me that she is putting through some “ROX” ticket which would be sent to another section which deals with disconnection issues.  I ask if I could get a ticket number, or an email of this transaction, and she says no.  She then questions me about why I cancelled, and then things go really south.  To my ultimate disbelief, she begins to berate me and tell me that I should never have cancelled.  She further stated that I should have proceeded with the installation, and that Verizon has the right to charge me for the activation, because I actually saw the screen which said “Welcome to FIOS TV”.  I can’t believe that she is speaking to a customer this way, literally insulting me.  I reminded her that I had every right to cancel as long as I did so within the 14 day cancellation period, and that it was none of her business why I cancelled.  If a customer decides to cancel, it should just be a 1, 2, 3 action.  I also told her that she was acting very unprofessional and that I did not have to continue this conversation with her.  Before I could end the conversation, she hung up on me. 

I was very upset after this call.  A conversation like this with a rude customer service representative is the very reason I will never sign up for FIOS TV, and furthermore, I am considering cancelling Internet and digital voice, even if I have to pay the cancellation fee. 

Remedy:  I would like my bill corrected as soon as possible to reflect no charges, i.e., taxes, activation fees, one time fees, etc. relating to FIOS TV.  I should not have to spend another minute on the phone with a rude customer service representative to straighten this out. 

I apologize for such a long letter, but it is very important to me that you know the facts.  I await your response to this very important matter. 

Re: Billed for FIOS TV after I returned equipment and discontinued
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.