ETF and Moving to an area without FiOS Service???
steviaintheraw

I called customer service to move my FiOS service to my new address in Redmond, WA from NYC and was told that Verizon does not service Washington State with FiOS. In the process of cancelling I was told I would be assessed a $170 fee. This was confirmed with a supervisor. I do not understand why Verizon's inability to service me at my new address constitutes me violating the contract. Does Verizon think I make my moving decisions based on the availibility of their service, or that I should have considered them when I decided to accept my new job out of state?

I want FiOS at my new address. I love FiOS service, and I would be more than happy to continue my contract with Verizon if they were able to deliver their service to my new address.

I will be cancelling my Verizon Wireless service when the contract is up because of this. That bill is almost twice what the FiOS bill was. If Verizon is not interested in having me as a customer that's their decision.

0 Likes
Re: ETF and Moving to an area without FiOS Service???
jjcifuentes

We are having the same exact issue! We were even "Advised" to keep a NON WORKING phone line to avoid the ETF!

0 Likes
steviaintheraw

What an awful business practice. Not only will I never use Verizon for phone, internet or television ever again, but they are losing me as a cell phone customer as well. If I was cancelling because I didn't want it anymore I understand. But I want it and they can't give it to me. Sounds to me like they are the ones cancelling.

If Verizon was so concerned with people meeting contract terms then maybe they wouldn't have so fraglantly missed the deadline in their franchise agreement with NYC. If they were on track with that I would have gotten FiOS earlier and this wouldn't have even been an issue because my contract would probably be up by now.

I guess contracts only matter to them when it means they get paid something.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello steviaintheraw

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

jjcifuentes could you explain your issue in more detail please?

0 Likes
jjcifuentes

We moved to a non-service area by Verizon.  We even had a technitian come out an certified we can't get service.  We are asked to pay the fee cause we "violate" the terms.  I was not aware that moving is a "Violation" of terms as is no where clearly stated. 

0 Likes
steviaintheraw

My escalation response was the same exact thing that I was told on the phone, and that the fee would not be waived. That's fine, I'm sure the legalese all checks out, and even if it doesn't, I'm sure it will remain unchallenged and unaddressed . I just want Verizon to be aware that it is a terrible business practice as I will be shedding any and all additional Verizon services I subscribe to as well. This includes 3 lines of cell phone service with a monthly bill that is almost triple what I pay for FiOS right now. Additionally, if I move back to an area with FiOS I will make a point to choose whatever competitior is available over them, and I will be sure to let all of my friends, family and acquaintances know why I am doing that.

It is no secret that it is common practice for localized telecom services that are bound by contract to have any early termination fees waived in the event that the customer moves to an area where that service is unavailable. It seems rather predatory to be the only company that does not do this, and furthermore, though this was not the case with me as I was not sold FiOS by a sales rep, from other posts on this forum it seems to me that Verizon likes to tell people that it will waive this fee if they move to entice them into contracts and then charge them anyway when they do move. I will be sure to do my part to make sure everyone I know does not sign any contracts with Verizon for these services, because Verizon seems to be under the impression that they should be involved in their customers decisions on where they should live.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi jjcifuentes

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We did not hear back from you on your Private Support case. We hope you were able to find resolution to your issue.

If you require further assistance, feel free to make a new post, and we can be sure to look into your issue. As always, we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,
Marcial

0 Likes
Wali1

I used to live in NYC for 6 years and was always looking forward to getting FIOS when I moved to the suburbs because of the "great" service they offer. Well let me start by saying that for the 3 years that I have had FIOS I have loved it until now.......... I am moving and the new building that I am moving to does not offer Verizon at all. So I called Verizon to notify them of the situation and they have now hit me with an ETF!! It has completely changed my view on Verizon. My fiance has verizon wireless and out of spite I will make sure that she leaves this company due to lack of customer service. I have refered several friends to FIOS but will make sure that they are aware of this "ETF"... I was a great customer with auto pay and payed around $150 a month for 3 years. Now I will make sure that in the future if FIOS is available that I will decline ANY offer and deter anyone I know NOT to go with Verizon. This is ETF will affect them more than it will ultimately affect me. Bad business ethics!

0 Likes