FIOS install details
rhombus1

I'm scheduled for my FIOS install this coming Friday. I have a few concerns about the installation. Tech support more or less said the installer would be able to get the job done but couldn't really answer my questions. I'm hoping someone on the forums might have more experience with the actual process.

1. I live on along a long shared driveway (1/8 mile) on a subdivided farm plot. There are four utility poles from the street to my house. Will the installer have the necessary climbing equipment to run the fiber to my house? 

2. Tech support said they might temporarily lay the fiber on the ground for a few weeks until they could string it up or bury it. This doesn't sound like it would work because it would be about 100 yards and cross a driveway as well as other people's property. I could see the line being damaged the first weekend when people perform yard work. Has anyone else experienced this?

3. Once they get the fiber to my house, what are the options for the ONT placement?  I really want the router in the unfinished basement as this is where I have my network switch and coax splitters. Some of my exterior walls border a small crawl space - not my basement. This would mean the cables/wires have to traverse a greater length to get to my basement area.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS install details
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't speak to the long driveway scenario ... I would imagine the installer would be able to climb the pole or use a ladder to make the primary connection, but would not be stringing cable from pole to pole.  My installation is underground, they brought in a slit trencher that basically buried the cable along the side of my house, along my driveway thru the neighbor's front yard and then brought in a machine which went under my neighbor's driveway without disturbing the surface ... when all was done I had a slightly visible line where the cable was buried that covered over with grass after a week or two.   Maybe they'll do something similar or a combination of the two.  It was two different crews that did my installation -- one which ran the fiber cable from the connection point to the side of my house and did all the trench work (in fact, this wasn't even verizon, but appeared to be someone to whom they subcontracted the work) -- and another who connected up the fiber and did all the inside work.

As for the ONT installation, it depends on where your other services typically enter the home.  My ONT is an exterior installation mounted on the wall where my other utilities (power, cable, phone) enter the home.  This makes it easy to cut over the connections from the old services to FiOS.   They then ran a small power cord thru the wall into my garage and plugged it in.  The one thing that is important is that you have a power outlet readily available nearby where the ONT will be installed.

Distribution of FiOS services throughout your home takes place on your existing Coax and Phone.  The router will be typically run on Coax (you can put the router anywhere in your home as long as there is a coax outlet nearby).   If there is nothing nearby, the can typically run a piece of coax or cable from where it enters your home to a reasonable location where you want the router.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS install details
rhombus1

Thanks for the info. I only get power through the overhead line. My exisiting cable underground from the closest utility pole to my house. A Verizon tech did take my number and said he would have someone call me but that hasn't happened. I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best on Friday. I'll be sure to update this post after the installation is complete.

0 Likes