Fios upgrade process
Malt1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does the upgrade from DSL service to Fios entail drilling more holes in the house?  When I tried Optimum Cablevision previously, they drilled holes in the external walls for routing to TV locations and strung the cables in haphazard fashion.  How many holes are necessary for Fios?  The prospect of more holes isn't that appealing to me, with the POTS lines already in place and working well enough.

Though the speed upgrade is attractive, I'm reluctant to give up my $15/MO for life grandfathered DSL plan in exchange for Fios, as there'd be no return.  All the Fios ads advertise rates for a certain period of time, after which it goes up to some undetermined amount.  If the advertised rates are considered promotional, what are the standard rates?  Is there any way to find out the actual total charges, including all the surcharges and taxes normally applied to the base rate, prior to actually signing up?

0 Likes
Re: Fios upgrade process
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Usually FiOS installs take two or less holes to complete assuming everything else is in place. Unless you are ordering 150Mbps or higher packages, Verizon will be able to make use of existing coaxial cabling in your home for as long as the cable is in good shape and working to specs. For the Fiber, the copper wiring can be removed and replaced with fiber, eliminating the need to drill a hole. A hole may be required to connect the ONT up to the battery backup unit, but that is only if the ideal location for the ONT has no power outlets in the immediate location.

Overall, the Verizon techs do a good job with the cabling work. I would say order up and see what happens. The installation tech will run through everything based on your unique situation as to how many holes will be needed and what will be reused/repulled. Generally speaking, the only thing they may drill through is the Fiber cable, in the event the copper line is staying.

Malt1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good to know, thanks- it'd just be the lowest speed option well below 150Mbps.  Is the Optical Network Terminal always placed indoors right where the fiber hole is drilled to come in? Or can it possibly be located outside ?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONTs are typically installed indoors. I don't know if Verizon still installs outdoor units by default, but the last I checked they do.

0 Likes