Fraudulent contract renewal
JTate84
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently had a very long - yet ultimately useless - chat with two Verizon service agents regarding a fraudulent contract renewal made to my triple play bundle. My 2 year contract was scheduled to terminate in October 2014. At that time, I recieved an email summarizing my services, which I read and filed. In December 2014, I noticed my account said I was in a contract terminating in October 2016, implying it was renewed. 

In the chat, I learned that someone named "Linda" spoke to a phone rep and misrepresented themselves as me (the reps were unable to provide the method of identity-verification used). During this call, my contract was apparently renewed. The rep tried to convince me that this Linda was really my mother, which is a totally absurd suggestion given I have been out on my own for over a decade and my mother doesn't even know I have FIOS.

After exposing this order as fraudulent, the service reps on the chat said the only way to remedy the situation was to break the contract and charge me the early termination fee (~$220). I have no intention of cancelling my service but am alarmed that for whatever reason my contract was extended without my knowledge or consent. I'm also amazed at the indifference shown by the service reps when faced with a clear fraudulent transaction and unhappy long-time Verizon customer. 

Hopefully someone here can see the light and reverse the fraudulent October order without charging me the ETF. 

Re: Fraudulent contract renewal
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
JTate84
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's been two business days with no contact and I would appreciate that this issue be resolved by the end of this week. Making contract changes without my consent is a clear instance of "slamming" which the FCC has strict regulations against.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for letting us know. We will send a note to the Ecenter.

0 Likes
JTate84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately the quality-challenged eCenter is as competent in responding to your messages as they are in resolving my issue as I have still not heard anything. Rather than have some lower-level worker try to reach out with a scripted attempt to placate me, please arrange for someone with the appropriate authority to remove my contract and waive the ETF contact me by end of day Tuesday, January 13th. If this does not occur, I will be forced to file a complaint with the FCC and BBB first thing Wednesday. Thank you

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

We will send a note to the Ecenter to follow up, jtate84.

0 Likes
Nprasad
Enthusiast - Level 1
This is my exact situation. My contract was to expire on May 31st, 2015. I did not call Verizon to renew my contract. When I saw my bill for June 2015, my monthly charges had increased by $30 +fees+additonal taxes. I called Verizon customer service and they claim that I submitted an order to renew my contract for another 2 yrs. I asked them for proof that I requested my contract to be renewed and they don't have anything. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they put my on hold for 45mins only to return and say that someone will call me back. No one ever called back. I called several times but Verizon customer service is so indifferent. They just repeated that I had placed an order which I DID NOT.

My husband called Verizon Customer service a few days later and had the same conversation. Verizon said that someone from the household called on March 31st and spoke to a verizon agent called 'Alan' to place an order. Well, if I didn't call and my husband didn't call, they who placed the order. They are asking for $220 in early termination fees to cancel the service for an order I did not place and Verizon is not returning my call. I am really unhappy with this!
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Nprasad

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
catm1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this issue as well. My two-year contract expired in May. I recently called Verizon with the intention of negotiating a new rate -only to find out that my contract had already been renewed back in April. I absolutely DID NOT authorize this action. And I find it outrageous and infuriating that a representative could do this and get away with it. Not only did they renew my contract, but they did so for thirty dollars more than what I was previously paying. I’ve already spoken with two representatives; the first one said he would rectify the situation by keeping me at the same rate I originally had. I then called back and spoke to a second representative, because there is no reason I should be stuck with a two-year contract I NEVER AGREED UPON in the first place. This person told me I could contact corporate by going to the website (I still have not been able to find this supposed link).  I asked to speak with a supervisor but was told that there weren’t any.

I also refuse to pay a termination fee for something that was done without my knowledge or consent. I’m prepared to file complaints with the BBB, FTC,FCC, and whoever else.

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes