Unreasonable Cost for Downgraded Service
JenDFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

Due to economic hardship, I desperately need to cut expenses.  I called verizon in hopes that I could downgrade my triple play to internet only, expecting that I would have to pay some portion of my early cancellation fee to compensate for their revenue loss.  I was polite and let the service rep know that I am suddenly an unexpectedly the only income earner and rent payer in a single parent household, and that I can't afford $110 a month for service.  I was pleasantly surprised when they offered to waive the fee with a new 2 year contract...until they told me that fios 25/25 would cost me $71 a month, even though it is currently advertised at $45 a month.  I was told that is the new customer price, and nothing could be done, and that even in two years when that contract ended I would still likely have to pay $25 more a month than new customers pay.

I hate jumping companies, but I am so disappointed by this offer.  The extra $25 a month over the new customer price is, over the course of two years, far more money than the cancellation fee would be.  Do I have to cancel, change companies, and then wait until verizon wants me back?  Why put a customer through all that and deal with visiting/setting up new service/losing the revenue for 6 months, and possibly forever?  I don't expect miracles, but I know that $45 is more in line with industry pricing at the moment, and I feel like the $71 offer is only meant to disincentivize downgrading my service.  Keeping the $110 a month bill is not an option, and I'm at the point now where I'm considering leaving for good.  It would be a shame, since the internet service is excellent.  I'm hoping a verizon rep on the board here will be able to help me with this so I can avoid the huge hassle of switching providers and paying an $180 early termination fee that I can't afford.  I know it's just business, but how on earth does being inflexible in a situation like this help anybody, including verizon?

0 Likes
Re: Unreasonable Cost for Downgraded Service
ortiz34
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wait, they are waiving a termination fee to opt out of your commitment early? Very nice they did that IMO

you want to keep that wonderful fiber optic internet which I understand

BUT you want the new customer price, not the regular price like everyone else? 

Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes
JenDFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree that it's nice, but not extraordinary--I would be renewing for another 2 year contract, so I am not leaving the company or shortening my commitment time.  I wouldn't even have a huge problem with biting the bullet and paying extra for the first two years--but why am I then locked permanently into a higher cost bracket?  That doesn't make sense.  As a longstanding customer, I have to perpetually pay $300 a year more than new customers do...because I can't afford to keep cable?  I don't think I'm being grossly unreasonable here.  If I had the internet only bundle to start with, and I renewed, I would most likely be able to continue service at the new customer price (that's what happened with my triple play)...so why would I have to pay significantly more--forever--because I change my service?

0 Likes
JenDFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since nobody from Verizon has bothered to reply, I guess it's Time Warner for 6 months at $45/month (which more than covers the Verizon cancellation fee), then see if Verizon wants me back, and if I want them back by that point.  I don't get why another verizon customer/user would be mad at me for being angry about local market monopolies and unreasonably high service fees, either.  Why should I be grateful or even ok with being overcharged, just because anyone else in my position is also overcharged?  That's a reason for them to change the bait-and-switch pricing policy for everyone, not for me to get ripped off and feel happy because everyone is--what--equally ripped off?  The verizon service is good when it works, but I've had to send back equipment twice in the last six months and have the line repaired, too, once going four days without phone, cable, or internet. During high traffic times, it's no better than cable.  A $600+ a year difference is a no-brainer.  I hope other customers get mad an verizon considers their pricing structure; I left sprint for the same reason--high cancellation fees, poor customer support, and high monthly service fees.  I've never regretted it, and I doubt I'll regret this either.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) This is mainly a peer to peer support forum. So don't expect Verizon to answer.

2) almost every proivder gives new customers a better deal than existing customers. Some people are ok with flipping providers every couple of years, some are happy staying where they are at.

To each his own.

JenDFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks CRob.  I apologize if I came off as rude; I was just posting here as a last resort.  I didn't kudos the last guy because I hate the "it's so awesome so you should be happy to pay the crazy price" line of thinking.  My frustration is with verizon, not the nice folks here on the forum.

0 Likes