Re: Verizon FiOS Early Termination Fee -- Salesman AND Manager lied
sudongpo

I went through a similar process.

I decided to sign up for HBO in Feb. I knew at that time that I was going to move in July and that these plans come with a two year agreement. I didn't know where I'd move to yet. I was actually very happy with verizon service and would gladly continue fios wherever I ended up if it was offered, but I didn't want to get stuck with an ETF if I moved where verizon does not cover.

I therefore specifically called and talked to a representative to ask what would happen if I moved to an area that was not served by verizon. He said that if that were the case they would waive the ETF. Assured I agreed to sign up for HBO.

It turns out that I'm moving to Gainesville, Fl where verizon does not have presence. I spoke with a service rep two days ago who informed me that they will not waive an ETF. He said that in his 10 years there they have never done that and I would have to pay $210. I asked him to retrieve the recorded phone conversation, which he did. They do have the conversation recorded, but of course only a part of the conversation was recorded. Only the part where I state my name and agree to the 2 yr contract, not where the representative assured me about waiving the ETF.

Of course I feel lied to, and it seems like I'm not the only one.

There's a lack of accountability. They always say you should get the name of the person you are talking to so you can hold them accountable, but no verizon representative will ever give you their name, so you're powerless. They will record you on their end, but will refuse to allow you to make a recording yourself. They own the recording, and selectively disclose the portions of the recording that suits their interests.

Why would they alienate an otherwise, would-be, potential loyal customer for $200. As others have said, the money is not the issue, but being deceived and feeling powerless against a large impersonal company really bothers me.

I've filed a complaint with the FCC. {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi sudongpo,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
sudongpo

I just wanted to post a follow up.

My issue was "escalated" is not true. I was sent to live chat, which replicated the exact exchange that I already had 2 days ago on the phone. Essentially the same run-around.

The chat agent (Sara) indicated that no escalation was possible. 

I think a more reasonable solution is to have me pay the prorated difference between special promotion price and month to month price, which would be about $30 since I used the service x 3 months. Why can't we do this for people who move to non-verizon locations? Wouldn't everyone be satisfied and customers wouldn't be alienated?

Like I said I'd be happy to continue with Fios if I could. If I was moving somewhere where FiOS was avail, or if I discontinued service here, or if I switched to Comcast here - those are valid reasons for ETF.

To protect my credit, I will pay the ETF. But there could have been a better solution.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We didn't hear back from you on your Private Support case, in regards to further assistance. Please feel free to make a new post in the public Forums in the future, if you need any thing else.. We'll be able to continue looking into your issue, as we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,
Ali Adam

0 Likes
wvmama

As well my initial contact to start service I said no contract and they said oh it just an agreement for service blah blah blah Not only did they lie he just hung up.  The third person I was transferred to.  When I had to cancel the lady went out of her way to try to see how to get Verizon to our new town house but it was impossible on Elliott Road in Monroeville PA and she assured me I would not be billed an ETF because it was not avaiable but "please turn in your equipment" she said. One month later you say I owe $350 ?  No one has any answers either.  I have no problem paying my final bill but I should have been told YES when move you will have to pay instead of her calling me "sweetheart" and pretending to care about me having to have Comcast.  All the times I've been so happy to have Verizon and bragged to family stuck with other contracts have gone to bits !

0 Likes
tishoo

Exactly the same situation (I moved 6 months after starting service, in a very botched installation that they overcharged me for)ty.

Moved to a destination without FIOS.

Was told to keep phone service (basic) fro a momth adn that no ETF would be billed.

Adn just received an ETF bill.

Pity. The internet  service was flawless. But I'll never bother again. Cmcast has betetr trained agents and doesn't pull these shenanigans

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello tishoo

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello wvmama

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Due to multiple failed attempts to reach you we will be closing this private support case.

If you need further assistance with Verizon service feel free to send us another post.

Thank you,

^Matthew

0 Likes
nixiecon

Did anything every come out of this?

Same thing happened to me: was assured multiple times that the early termination fee would not apply if I moved out of the Verizon coverage area; moved to uncovered area, but was reassured that no further fees would be charged once I returned my equipement upon cancelation; was charged an early termination fee.  They charged my credit card because they still had it on file from autopay.  I just got off the phone with them, but they refused to waive the fee or refund the charge on my credit card.

I have requested my credit card company to dispute the charge as well as filed a complaint with the FCC.

I'm very sad that it came to this point because I was a big FIOS advocate, and would definitely still have it if I could, or get it back when I move back.  Now, they've not only lost a customer permanently, but I will do what I can to get friends and family to leave them too.

0 Likes