Verizon breaking contracts
hengest1066
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I signed up for Verizon FIOS in June of 2009.  Before I did, I asked the rep if I would be charged any fees for moving to a new location if I didn't want to renew my lease on my current apt. (which was up in February, 2010).  I was told by the rep AND again by the installation agent that there would be NO problem provided I moved to a location that had FIOS access.  Totally understandable, right?  Well apparently not! 

I called another rep AGAIN the first week of January, 2010, and asked if there was FIOS service available at a new apt. I was looking to move into.  I was told there was, and there would be no problem switching the service over, and that I should call about 1 week before I move so they would have enough time to put in the order.  SOOOOOO....I called the 22, and all of a sudden I'm being told I'm "breaking the contract" and the rate I had ($44.99/month) is no longer availabe, so what they're going to do is sign me up for ANOTHER 1-year contract at the new rate of $54.99/month!  Oh yeah, and don't even THINK about getting the $99 service termination fee taken away if I try to "break the contract."

My contract is not up until June, so how can I be entered into a new 1-year contract before my old one is up?  I'm moving to a location that already has FIOS installed, so all I have to do is take my modem with me. 

I actually wouldn't mind so much if the rate was increased on my old contract (not sure they can get away with that legally though), because I had every intention of NOT signing up with Verizon after my 1-year of dis-service with them.   But I REFUSE to deal with Verizon's incompitence for another year.

I don't see how any of this can be legal.

Has anyone else had this issue come up with their service?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon breaking contracts
VZ_Constance
Contributor - Level 1

Hello hengest1066...I read your post and would like the opportunity to find out exactly what is going on with your move and termination fees. If you would be so kind as to fill out this form in order to provide us with your account information so we can access your account. Thank you. https://www98.verizon.com/content/verizonsupport/ 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon breaking contracts
hengest1066
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I called again today, and after going through another customer "service" (not really) experience, I was given the # to Corporate HQ, and that's when I got in touch with {edited for privacy} I explained the situation to her, and she said the same thing, "impossible," "it's a new policy as of Jan. 1st (if it's a new policy, why didn't ANY of the reps I talked to this month tell me that right at the beginning of the conversations?) that's completely legal," "there's nothing that can be done."  So I asked her, "Are you saying there's no possible way for the ETF to be waived?"  "It's not likely," she said.   So I asked, "So is there ANY way at all for the ETF to be waived?" and she said, "Let me see what they'll be willing to do."  So her manager offered a 75% refund on the ETF.  Better than nothing, I guess, but I still don't understand why I'm being charged at all.

At least I'll be done with Verizon soon.

0 Likes