Why FIOS isn't available?
Chaber01854
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in Lowell, Massachusetts. I have listened and watched ads on TV about FIOS for nearly 12 years now. Every year I have called up Verizon and asked about getting FIOS and each year I get the same answer, "FIOS isn't available in your area yet." Yet, there are neighboring towns and cities that already have it. I ask, when will it be available and I get the same answer, "go to our web site and fill out the page to get a notice for when it will be available." Almost 12 years now and still nothing. FIOS still isn't available in my area, zip code 01854. Just getting the run around from Verizon again. One reason why I dropped them for my telephone and internet services.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why FIOS isn't available?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Chaber01854 wrote:

I live in Lowell, Massachusetts ... Every year I have called up Verizon and asked about getting FIOS and each year I get the same answer, "FIOS isn't available in your area yet." Yet, there are neighboring towns and cities that already have it ...

This is a peer-to-peer support forum where volunteer users try to help others in the same boat.  I'm sure you're already aware that the only thing you can do is maintain contact with Verizon Communications and hope for the best.  Frankly I don't think they're in expansion mode just now with respect to capital expenditure for FiOS infrastructure.  Recent press reports indicate that the emphasis now is on expanding in the wireless area rather than the "bricks and mortar" business of FiOS networks.

HUMOR ALERT

If nothing else seems to work, perhaps a novel approach is in order. Have you checked with anyone in nearby Salem MA?  It's only about 20 miles away, and there used to be a bunch over there with strange powers who could get just about anything done (for a price).

END HUMOR ALERT

Sorry, couldn't resist, and I do indeed wish you success.  I waited a long time to escape from my old cable provider, so I know your pain.

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Chaber01854 wrote:

I live in Lowell, Massachusetts ... Every year I have called up Verizon and asked about getting FIOS and each year I get the same answer, "FIOS isn't available in your area yet." Yet, there are neighboring towns and cities that already have it ...

This is a peer-to-peer support forum where volunteer users try to help others in the same boat.  I'm sure you're already aware that the only thing you can do is maintain contact with Verizon Communications and hope for the best.  Frankly I don't think they're in expansion mode just now with respect to capital expenditure for FiOS infrastructure.  Recent press reports indicate that the emphasis now is on expanding in the wireless area rather than the "bricks and mortar" business of FiOS networks.

HUMOR ALERT

If nothing else seems to work, perhaps a novel approach is in order. Have you checked with anyone in nearby Salem MA?  It's only about 20 miles away, and there used to be a bunch over there with strange powers who could get just about anything done (for a price).

END HUMOR ALERT

Sorry, couldn't resist, and I do indeed wish you success.  I waited a long time to escape from my old cable provider, so I know your pain.

Chaber01854
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you Armond. I appreciate you responding. Yes, I would very much like to get rid of my cable provider. And, unfortunately, I live in an apartment building and they don't allow the dish.

0 Likes
squid1955
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in Norfolk, VA & I have been waiting for fios for ever, there are people that I work with that have it & I am also told  not in my area yet, I am beginning to think that I will be in the greater there after before my house gets it.  I am getting upset with Verizon.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@squid1955 wrote:

I live in Norfolk... have been waiting for fios for ever ... I am getting upset with Verizon.

It's partly a corporate decision, but in addition where I live these same corporations have to jump through several hoops to become certified suppliers.  In NJ there was a period during which Verizon had to apply to each separate municipality to obtain permitting (i.e., no state-wide permits).  As I recall this was eventually overcome despite a ferocious fight by Comcast.   A bit later we started noticing Verizon crews laying wire.

0 Likes
Re: Why FIOS isn't available? - It takes time and MONEY
wraujr1
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon doesn't release data, but industry analysts estimate that it costs between $2,000 and $10,000 PER HOME to install FIOS.  We are talking all new fiber optic cable from the switching office to the home along with expensive  connection gear.  These cables have to be buried and strung on poles.  Verizon has to get approval to add their fiber. Then there is all new equipment at the switching office.  FIOS is a complete and total replacement of

the copper wire that exists.  Who pays for this???  Verizon does.... Now if Verizon asked you and your neighbors to pay upfront for the new equipment and that they would pay you back over 10 years would you agree??.... Verizon must come up with the money for equipment and labor to install a complete new network to your home and then get paid back over the next 5 to 10 years IF you sign up for service.

Verizon doesn't make money on the physical network, they make money on your monthly fees.  There is no magic money tree (i.e. US government) giving them free loans.  Just like cell phone companies are upgrading their gear to 4G, it will take time and just like cell phone companies upgraded major metro areas first (because there's more money there), it will take time and there will still be remote areas that FIOS never reaches.  Verizon has limited funds to invest in new networks.  They can't be blamed for investing in high return/easy access areas.  Prime example is cities, it is very expensive and difficult to run new FIOS in cities.  Baltimore City does not have FIOS while its suburbs do.  But NY has FIOS because there's more money there....

Now if you could convince the free-spending Democrats to have the government pay for all this new equipment, you might get it sooner... Even when Pres. Eisenhower started the Interstate highway program over 50 years ago... it took a while before enough time and money had been spent to criss-cross the US with nice roads..

Oh did I mention that cable services are regulated by many municipalities and that Verzion can't install FIOS until they receive approval and agree to pay fees and certain restrictions  to these local governments.  Are you sure the hold up is Verizion and not your local government?  Verizon has at times met severe resistance from existing cable franchises such as Comcast that use the local government to keep Verizon out.  Remember pre-FIOS, Verizon only had approval to be a phone/internet provider and not a cable TV provider.

IMHO, Verizon is making a monumental investment in FIOS at their OWN expense, unfortunately that means it won't happen overnight.  And it means that once the cash pool  is used up, Verizon must scale back deployment expenses until they can rebuild their pool of cash for new capital expenses through revenue from current users.

Finally, I beleive that FIOS (as in optical fiber to the home), started deployment in major metro areas in 2005.  Which is only 7 years ago.. not 12.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

wraujr wrote:

... if you could convince the free-spending Democrats to have the government pay for all this new equipment, you might get it sooner... did I mention that cable services are regulated by many municipalities and that Verzion can't install FIOS until they receive approval and agree to pay fees and certain restrictions  to these local governments.  Are you sure the hold up is Verizion and not your local government?  Verizon has at times met severe resistance from existing cable franchises such as Comcast that use the local government to keep Verizon out ... 

Welcome to the board and thanks for a fine contribution with several good points [although placing the onus on "free-spending" (fill in your favorite political nemesis) seems diversionary in this particular venue].  As for your final observation, rest assured that this is a "known error" and the reason I observed earlier:

"It's partly a corporate decision, but in addition where I live these same corporations have to jump through several hoops to become certified suppliers. In NJ there was a period during which Verizon had to apply to each separate municipality to obtain permitting (i.e., no state-wide permits). As I recall this was eventually overcome despite a ferocious fight by Comcast. A bit later we started noticing Verizon crews laying wire."
0 Likes
candbbrown881

All well and good, wraujr, the information is appreciated...

It's very frustrating for those of us who have been waiting for FIOS to be installed in their areas and the only responses we get are to "sign up on the waiting list."  Neighbors one block to the west and north of me (same city) have FIOS whereas I do not.  This frustration is compounded by television, radio and billboard ads in our neighborhoods all imploring us to get FIOS.  If Verizon has redirected their capital into the wireless market, why are they spending so much money advertising FIOS?

Anyway, just my two-cents.

0 Likes
shezny1
I have to agree. Telling the public the truth is a better way to go. We are not **bleep**. If it takes all that red tape for Fios to expand into more areas, then say that. Tell us it may never come. Tell us we are stuck with Cablevision. You advertise all over our head never admitting that you may not reach our area. At least we can make alternate decisions. Shame on you Verizon.
0 Likes
gyro1947
Lived along East Ocean View in Norfolk and investigated this myself. The actual problem in Norfolk is more related to politics and public officials who are preventing FIOS cable TV service from being introduced. FIOS internet service is available and a Direct TV arrangement with Verizon exists. However, Direct TV requires LOS (Line of Sight) with their antenna array and this not always possible because of building obstructions. Also, some communities forbid the installation of parabolic antennas, so Direct TV is often a bad solution.

However, you can get Verizon Internet FIOS in Norfolk as well as Virginia Beach. That said, I believe that Verizon offers a service for accessing a selection of TV channels over FIOS internet and services like HBO Go should also be available.

I moved to Virginia Beach to an area where FIOS Internet and TV service is available. However, the telephone operators at Verizon fullfillment indicate TV service is not available even though it is. I've already been suckered out of a Direct TV installation inspection charge of $50 because they felt it was a good solution until FIOS TV service was available. However, Direct TV installation was not possible due to LOS problems. Note that the property owner had FIOS TV service in my residence in the past and continues to have the service about eight blocks down the street. My neighbors within a few houses also have the service, but Verizon Order Center insists that is not available.

The unavailability of the service in some areas may be largely due too poorly trained personnel who take orders or mistakes in Verizon's coverage databases. It makes no sense to me why a residence that had the service in the past cannot have the same service in the present and future.
0 Likes