bundle prices are higher for existing Verizon customers?
dianem55

Why is it that the bundle prices are higher for existing Verizon customers than new customers? Is that fair?

That doesn't make sense -- if I cancel my services and then start again in 2 days, I'm technically a new customer. Does Verizon *want* their customers to leave?

That would seem a hassle in processing for both Verizon and for me -- but if that's the only way to enjoy the same discount, I'll do it. But is it even legal for Verizon to charge existing customers higher prices than new customers?

0 Likes
Re: bundle prices are higher for existing Verizon customers?
prisaz
Legend

@dianem55 wrote:

Why is it that the bundle prices are higher for existing Verizon customers than new customers? Is that fair?

That doesn't make sense -- if I cancel my services and then start again in 2 days, I'm technically a new customer. Does Verizon *want* their customers to leave?

That would seem a hassle in processing for both Verizon and for me -- but if that's the only way to enjoy the same discount, I'll do it. But is it even legal for Verizon to charge existing customers higher prices than new customers?

All companies offer a better discount for new customers. It is to attract new customers, and the practice is done with all providers. Look at Directv and and the others. I am not sure if two days would qualify you as a new customer because you would be considered a previous customer. Some companies will after a period of time make offers to entice customers back, but I don't think 2 days would do it. Call and cancel to see what you get. If you are under a bundle agreement, you will get an early termination fee so it would be more than the discount over a two year period. Perhaps that is why the ETF was increased.

dannie_k
Enthusiast - Level 3

I totally understand your frustration. It's not the price that is high. It is the discounts applied to the starting bundle price. For instance, the good FIOS bundle is like $109.99 (starting price) and new customers get like a $30 discount for 6 months plus an additional $10 discount for months 7-24. Existing customers only get the starting price..which is still discount. I think these bundles are like near $160.00 without all the discounts. I for once would like to see existing customers get some kind of credit applied for at least a year.

0 Likes
Peony04

Hi! So I currently have my phone and Fios internet separate(not bundled) and have been wanting to bundle them. I've hesitated since people have told me that they won't  give you a deal because you're already a customer. Is this true? Why wouldn't they want to keep existing customers with their bundles? Just curious. Thanks!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Peony04 wrote:

Hi! So I currently have my phone and Fios internet separate(not bundled) and have been wanting to bundle them. I've hesitated since people have told me that they won't  give you a deal because you're already a customer. Is this true? Why wouldn't they want to keep existing customers with their bundles? Just curious. Thanks!

If you have never had a bubdle you may want to go to the site and try to upgrade to bundle. I believe if you are adding a service such as TV, you can get the discount.

$15 OFF PER MONTH FOR 2 YEAR - EXCLUSIVE ONLINE OFFER:
Promotional rate available to new Verizon FiOS TV
or Internet residential customers via $15 bill credit for 24 months only; beginning month 25 standard rates apply.

Go to the web site and enter your phone number and see what offers it gives you. If you have never had a bundle, it may offer you a bundle.

http://www22.verizon.com/residential/bundles/bundlesoverview/

0 Likes
TravisTee
Enthusiast - Level 1

What really irks me is that these deep discounts ($540 over 2 years according to their ad) are only available to new users, and yet guess what I get in my bill each and every stinking month.

An add that tells me exactly how much I am being screwed, and how much they value new customers over existing ones.

I understand incentives to get customers to switch, but since you by definition only send the bill to your existing customers, why rub their noses in it?

minimo3

Does anyone know how long you have to be "away" to be considered a new customer? I was thinking of just getting by on a high speed datacard, cellphone, and Netflix for a month and then re-sign up as a new customer. Is that a sufficient amount of time? I couldn't find any information in the T&Cs that specified the criteria to be a new customer. 

0 Likes
PGJK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Something to think about while you ponder your upgrades. Sometimes the new bargain price just isn't worth the trouble, let me share this story:

I bundled up in 2008 with FIOS TV / Internet (15/5) / Telephone, Now I already had the telephone service so not such a bad deal when we dropped Optimum Online and AOL Online. All in all it was a bargain not to pass up. I started out with a bit over 160 with movie package. Well to start off the installation was a nightmare and a half, everything got installed by technician except for the Internet which wouldn't come online for some reason or another. It was determined that problem was outside therefore Verizon's. Report was filed and thats the last I saw of that guy. I literally had to get the Internet up & going myself through numberous telephone calls. Thats OK! 'cause I learned a few things along the way (you know those things the tech guy never tells you when he installs this stuff). Anyhow I finally get the internet up and running, wireless and all. Then for several weeks my computer is alive chirping grunting all day and night. I call the big 'V' and they suggest I purchase Internet Suite @ 5.99 which was fine because my AV subscription just ran out. It was the best but it was cheap and worked pretty good. Things are rolling along for about a year and this is when the fun starts. The Internet slows to a crawl, and there's a movie package I'm interested in. So I make the ill-fated call (you'll see the futility of this along the way). I order the new movie pkge and a bump up in speed 20/20, as per the sale this amounted to $0.00 out of pocket (sweet I said)). Now comes the mess the billing department cancels the 'autopay' sructure that was setup at the time I had my telephone installed, which had been ongoing since '87. I start to get bills again and for some reason or another through some kind of restucturing at the big 'V', I can get it back without jumping through hoops. I set it up through checking by telephone and now I needed to apply by creditcard or do it through the mail. I don't own a credit card and I generally never use the mail for payments (...just to much can go wrong, I'm not going to get into that whole making along story even longer). Anyhow the billing is all messed up because FIOS and Verizon are separate plus they from differing times. FIOS billing is much sooner than Verizon's so in essence you're paying 2 companies through 1 company. Anyhow I start getting bills of  like $300 - $500, I call and find out that some services were interupted therefore it was not reflected on my bill. I negotiated payment and tried with no luck in re-establishing what I once had and with no problem for years. I was told that it can only be done now in one of 2 ways, of which I explained earlier. "This is absurd I didn't ceate this mess, you guys did'," I told big 'V' They apologized for the mishap but to remedy I only had 2 choices, those I mentioned. Call me crazy but if I had screwed up this badly at work I'd be forced to remedy the situation or be fired. I found it extremely ironic that with each and every telephone call to big 'V', they wanted to know if I wished to add more services. "Now if that aint the most ridiculous thing you ever heard", I cringe with the thought. I going to wait until my plan is up and see what I can get just to stay with them. Because truth be told the only thing I never had problems with was my telephone service, its been running great since 1987. I can't say that about anything from 2008 onward. Don't get me wrong because at each and every juncture, I asked specifically "How will this affect my established services", Well now you know what can happen.

0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

@dianem55 wrote:

All companies offer a better discount for new customers. It is to attract new customers, and the practice is done with all providers. Look at Directv and and the others. I am not sure if two days would qualify you as a new customer because you would be considered a previous customer. Some companies will after a period of time make offers to entice customers back, but I don't think 2 days would do it. Call and cancel to see what you get. If you are under a bundle agreement, you will get an early termination fee so it would be more than the discount over a two year period. Perhaps that is why the ETF was increased.

No actually that is not true that "all companies" do it.  Brighthouse gives you the same promotion they offer new customers if you call and ask.

Dealing with Verizon is a nightmare compared to other "providers" I have had.

ChrisSun

I swithched to other provider when Verizon rep declined my request. It seems they don't care about their existing customer once they got them. Some people needs to inject some sense to the upper management because it actully costs more to obtain new customers.

0 Likes