0.16 upload speed with HSI, Unhappy customer of many years, Beware changing Plans
dslnotsogood

I recently changed Verizon HSI plans, this has been my experience:
I was on the 7Mbps DSL (either called HSI Advanced) plan with the most basic flat line local phone service. I was typically getting 6.5Mbps download. In May I switched to naked DSL and their 3.1-7Mbps Essentials plan (without the phone line the DSL Internet was $5 more a month - from $39.99 to $44.99 - naked/dryloop is no longer a Verizon option). My maximum download speed then dropped to 2.6Mbps and was often much lower. Due to travel I didn't immediately attempt to resolve the issue.

A month ago (mid-July) I contacted tech support. They acknowledged a problem with my line and a technician was sent to my home the next week. She spent nearly 2 hours at my home and on the outside line. She even ran a new line to my  home and then called me to say that the problem was with my port. She said it had been changed to a slower port when I went dry loop. She said only her supervisor could change the port and that a request had been made. She replied to a text message a week later and said her supervisor was to make the change. Another week later (8/14) I contact tech support to report that nothing had changed - still only 2.6Mbps download. A problem with my line was again acknowledged. I was told the issue would be resolved within 24 hours.

The next day (2 days ago) I received a text stating the work was complete. What ever they did reduced my download speed to 0.3Mbps when I'm lucky and 0.16 typically! I contacted tech support again and after repeating every bit of information I relayed in the prior calls and spending 90 minutes 'chatting', I was told that there was again a problem with my line and that a technician would be sent to my home. I said I didn't see the point as a technician had already been to the home and determined that the problem was with the port at the CO. Additionally the supposed 'fix' that occurred and resulted in a much slower download speed was done without a technician visiting my home. The rep was clear that the only option he had for me was a visit from a technician. The appt was scheduled for next week.

While I'd like to stick with Verizon DSL as I have had it with relatively few problems for about 10 years, I don't think my higher 6.5 download speed will be re-established. I called the cable company today to look at other options. My experience seems to support the idea that Verizon is happy to lose DSL customers. To save time here I didn't mention all of the details of my experience with Verizon's tech support but it is definitely the worst customer service I have ever experienced. The technical representatives were fine as people but they are obviously limited in what they can do given the structure of Verizon's support system. Each contact is like starting the process from the beginning. They don't acknowledge the prior history. That's either chat history or work done related to completed Tickets. When the local technician had already told me the problem was with the port my line was assigned, what point did it serve for me to spend 90 minutes chatting with a technician in India? It was a waste of time for both him and me. The problem is systemic and structural within Verizon.

I would have been much more comfortable working with Verizon had they respected my time and just told me they didn't want my business. I know the business units are separate but I'm seriously thinking of moving my 4 family cell phones to another provider. I know that no business can be perfect but Verizon has let me no doubt as to how it feels about me as a customer.

Hopefully this info is helpful. I share it for the historical record, for others considering changing their plans, and with the hope that Verizon will work towards a better model of support.

If a Verizon employee should care, my Chat IDs and Ticket Numbers are listed:

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes