Actiontec GT704wgB phone cord/DSL cable
genie01
Enthusiast - Level 1

The phone cord/DSL network cable that came with the modem/router is about 5 feet long and does not quite reach the place I need to place the modem/router. Can I purchase a longer cord? How much longer can the cord be? User manual says the telephone line cord must be "No. 26 AWG or larger (e.g. 24 AWG) UL listed cord". Any other specs I need to know? Thanks for anyone's help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec GT704wgB phone cord/DSL cable
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Length doesn't specifically matter, as it's technically going over hundreds to thousands of feet of copper already on Verizon's end of the plant. Sometimes distance of runs does make a difference though if using low quality cable or in marginal situations. But typically, look for some twisted pair/CAT3 grade Cabling as you want something not too thick or too thin that could weaken/noise up the signal.. Don't use the flat telephone extension cable as that cabling doesn't have the kind of noise isolation DSL ideally runs with. Take a look at the supplied cable the modem came with for what I'm looking at. That is two-pair CAT3 grade cabling.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Length doesn't specifically matter, as it's technically going over hundreds to thousands of feet of copper already on Verizon's end of the plant. Sometimes distance of runs does make a difference though if using low quality cable or in marginal situations. But typically, look for some twisted pair/CAT3 grade Cabling as you want something not too thick or too thin that could weaken/noise up the signal.. Don't use the flat telephone extension cable as that cabling doesn't have the kind of noise isolation DSL ideally runs with. Take a look at the supplied cable the modem came with for what I'm looking at. That is two-pair CAT3 grade cabling.

0 Likes
genie01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks!! Issue solved!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome! Thanks for marking the thread as solved!

0 Likes