Actiontec GT784WNV modem ISSUE
markeyismarc

I was unable to remotely access my devices connected to my Actiontec GT784WNV home network. I sent someone to my home and upon accessing 192.168.1.1  In the "status tab" connection status showed that the Broadband was "connected", however the ISP was "connecting" and continuously refreshing to try to get a connection. Hitting disconnect and connect buttons did not help. He also rebooted the gateway. The last resort was to go to "Quick Set Up" and enter my username and password. This fixed the problem and enabled me to go on-line and remotely access my devices. Upon contacting Verizon cust. support, they told me that there was a problem at the Verizon central office that caused my modem to go into default mode. When this happens, I can not access my devices remotely and can not get on the internet at home location. The only way to fix is for me to be at home and go to "Quick Set Up", and and enter my username and password as described above.  When I am far away from home, it is physically impossible for me to locally log onto the modem to do "quick Set Up" and fix the issue. Also, since there is no internet connection, I can not perform this function remotely. I have to pay someone to physically come to my house and perform the "quick set up" so that I can again access my remote devices. Is there anything I can do or add that will prevent or easily solve this issue when it happens again? I do not want to have to continuously pay someone to come to my house everytime this issue occurs. Too bad that Verizon tech support is unable to fix this issue for me when I call them with this issue when I am away from home. They say that someone MUST be at home to locally access the modem. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec GT784WNV modem ISSUE
markeyismarc

ALSO, what causes the modem to go into default thereby requiring "quick set-up"?  How to prevent this issue?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In the past, there have been some known issues with the older ActionTec gateways losing their configuration. For a start, try this: *note, I am not very familiarized with the ActionTec gateways*

Configure the modem the way you like it, and save the configuration if possible via the Advanced page if such an option exists. Now, reboot the modem. If your options do not save, the modem isn't writing data back to the NVRAM. If you were able to save a copy of your configuration file to the computer, try to load it back into the modem. Once loaded back, reboot the modem once more and see if it stores your configuration.

Alternatively, try this:

Press the reset button on the back of the modem down for 30 seconds, and then swith it off for 30 seconds while holding the reset button down. From there, power the unit on for 30 seconds, and then release the reset button. Allow the modem to reboot, and then log into the modems' Web UI to perform the quick setup again. See if after rebooting the modem once again using the power switch, you are able to maintain your configuration.

Alternatively:

Make sure you are shutting off the Walled Garden! http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect is the URL to the Walled Garden. It should be disabled. The login username and password is the same used to access the Web UI of the modem itself.

If the modem isn't retaining your information, ask Verizon for a replacement device. They have to fix the firmware bug causing that to occur.

0 Likes
markeyismarc

Thank you for your reply. After further communication with Verizon tech. support, I believe I may have found the reason for the modem going into default mode, thereby necessitating the "quick set-up" by entering username and password. Like most, I have a changing dynamic IP address that Verizon servers automatically supply to my modem at random times. This IP address changes at random times. If there would occur a power outage or DSL outage for an extended period of time, and once the power or DSL signal is restored; if the IP address changed from the last IP that was stored in my modem, then I will need to reconfigure with my username and password in "quick set-up" in order to obtain the new IP address from the server. On the other hand, if the power or DSL signal was restored prior to the server assigning a NEW IP address, then my modem will work properly without having to reconfigure. Is my thinking correct regarding these two scenarios??

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, this is where it gets a bit strange, and is why I asked to have you take a look at rebooting the modem. The modem should be storing your username and password in non-volatile memory, so that your login information survives connection loss, modem reboots, power outages, etc. Your modem should be able to lose DSL signal or change it's IP address without losing the configuration. With Verizon, unless you're in a DHCP area (which from what you're suggesting, you may not be), your IP address changes almost 100% of the time each time you drop your PPPoE session. Basically, if your connection is down for any more than a minute.

Granted, if the problem is due to the fact that your IP address is changing and you cannot reach your gear from outside but things are fine on the inside, that's another thing, and Dynamic DNS can help.

0 Likes
markeyismarc

Yes, I am in DHCP area. My IP address is dynamic and is updated by the verizon server at random times. When my modem expereinces the "event" where it goes offline, the only way to make it right is to locally (at the house) access the modem, and enter the username and password on the "quick set-up" page. This is usually not a problem to do unless I am away from home for an extended period. In that case, I have to ay someone to go to my home and locally access the modem and do the "quick set-up". Please refer to my previous post to see what I believe may be causing the problem. If I am correct, then getting a static IP address may be the answer! Can any Verizon forum moderators also please give their opinion?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I still don't think this is an IP issue to say the least. I mean, if the modem requires a quick setup, that means it's not maintaining the configuration you set up from when the modem lost connection. It's the same way if you booted a computer up from a CD, rather than a hard drive, and then the computer reboots. If the modem is crashing or otherwise losing power, then that pretty much proves this. It's also furthered if it's true the Internet stops working at your home until the quick setup is performed. The modem should start up and begin working as it last did before it rebooted for any sort of reason.

If the IP is changing and you cannot reach things on your network from the outside world, yet devices from inside of your home can reach out to the Internet without a problem, that should be something a free Dynamic DNS service can help you solve.

0 Likes