Actiontec router keeps rebooting, signal goes from limited to connected and back
newfane

Every day for the past few days, there are periods of about an hour or two at a time when my Actiontec GT784WNV router (through Verizon high-speed internet in NYC) reboots every 5-10 minutes. I will be connected, but then my connection becomes limited.

When this happens, the Power and Internet lights on my router will be solid, with a flashing DSL light. Then, connectivity will come back with solid Power and DSL lights and a flashing internet light. This cycles back and forth every 5-10 minutes for an hour. Then, the signal is OK for a few hours to a day at a time before this flares up again.

So far, I've gone through the following ordeal three times:

• Call Verizon
  • Wait 3 days for a tech
  • The tech shows up and does something that does not fix the issue (last time, they reduced my connection speed since the building's wires could not handle it, supposedly)
  • Connectivity is solid for anywhere between several hours to a day
  • Connectivity alternates between connected and limited for an hour
  • Call Verizon
  • Wait 3 days for a tech ...

Is there any hope in this situation? Do I perhaps need a new router or a software update? Or should I just find a different internet provider? I work at home and this has started to reflect badly on me with my employer.

(My main PC is Windows, but other devices (iPhones, Macbooks, etc) get knocked off when this happens too.)

Note: This happened for a few days when I first signed up for service a month ago. The problem went away for several weeks and is now back.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec router keeps rebooting, signal goes from limited to connected and back
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi newfane,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes