Adding a second router to VZ DSL (not fios)
danacall1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I want to add a second router to boost connection in my home. My router is currently in my basement as that is there my desktop computer was and the router was connected to it at the time of initial DSL set up. With this location, the connection is spotty in certain areas upstairs in the main sections of my home. I would like to add a router upstairs. I just received a new router from VZ (a DLink) but am uncertain how to connect it so that both function. The new router didn't come with set up instructions (my guess is oversight the Welcome Packet was not placed in the box before shipping) so I just plugged in to power and phone lines. My devices register the network but when I enter the network password as shown on the bottom of the router, it cannot connect. I am assuming this has something to do with the router still being hooked up in the basement. Any instructions anyone can provide as to how to set up both, would be greatly appreciated. Another note - the desktop computer in the basement has been replaced with a laptop so all of our devices are now wireless, meaning I no longer have a computer to connect directly to a router.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding a second router to VZ DSL (not fios)
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

To start, run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on your primary router to the WAN port on your secondary router.  Turn it on.  At this point, it will create a second, separate network on both it's LAN ports and WiFi.  You can connect a computer to it and have access to the web.  If that's all you need, you can stop here.

If you want both routers to be part of a single network so that resources such as printers and network drives can be shared across all devices, you'll need to configure the second router as an access point.  This involves turning of the DHCP server in the 2nd router and moving the Ethernet cable from the WAN port to the LAN port.  You can access the router's settings be logging into it from either a WiFi connected or Ethernet LAN connected computer.

The specifics depend on the particular model of router.  If you post the model number I or someone else here might be able to advise you on the specifics; but be aware that it may take some time.  You could also peruse the support pages for the router in question or spend some time with Google.

If you buy an access point, it won't have as many settings to deal with.

If you setup the 2nd device to use the same WiFi settings (SSID, password), the devices in your home will automatically pick the strongest signal and swtich between them as needed.  Note that if you configure the router over WiFi you'll want ot avoid common WiFi settings until everything is working.  Otherwise you may find you're connected to the primary router and can't login to the secondary router.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm assuming you mean a modem/router, as DSL uses a modem to convert the data signals on the phone line into a LAN connection.  A router can then use that connection to provide WiFi and other services to allow multiple devices to connect.

DSL can only have one modem active at the premise.  If you're tyring to plug your second modem/router into a phone line while the first modem/router is still plugged in, it won't work.

If you want to have multiple WiFi access points in your home, the best way to do this is to run an Ethernet cable from the modem/router to a second WiFi router (not modem) or WiFi access point.  You can use pretty much any router for this.  Know that if you want resources (like a printer) on either WiFi network to be visible on both networks, you'll want the router configured in access point mode.  If you operate it in standard NAT router mode, it will create a separate network and you won't be able to share resources across networks.  Post back if you need help setting this up.

If you don't want to run an Ethernet cable between the two locations, you can use a WiFi repeater.  But you should know that they will cut WiFi speed in half, if not more.

Good Luck.

danacall1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, thank you.  The Ethernet option sounds exactly like what I want to do!  Instructions in configuring the access point mode would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

To start, run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on your primary router to the WAN port on your secondary router.  Turn it on.  At this point, it will create a second, separate network on both it's LAN ports and WiFi.  You can connect a computer to it and have access to the web.  If that's all you need, you can stop here.

If you want both routers to be part of a single network so that resources such as printers and network drives can be shared across all devices, you'll need to configure the second router as an access point.  This involves turning of the DHCP server in the 2nd router and moving the Ethernet cable from the WAN port to the LAN port.  You can access the router's settings be logging into it from either a WiFi connected or Ethernet LAN connected computer.

The specifics depend on the particular model of router.  If you post the model number I or someone else here might be able to advise you on the specifics; but be aware that it may take some time.  You could also peruse the support pages for the router in question or spend some time with Google.

If you buy an access point, it won't have as many settings to deal with.

If you setup the 2nd device to use the same WiFi settings (SSID, password), the devices in your home will automatically pick the strongest signal and swtich between them as needed.  Note that if you configure the router over WiFi you'll want ot avoid common WiFi settings until everything is working.  Otherwise you may find you're connected to the primary router and can't login to the secondary router.

Good Luck.

danacall1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your time - much appreciated! I will give Google a try and see what I can come up with on my own.  If I have any more questions, I'll be back! 

0 Likes
je_md_dsl

depending on the second router, [I only use linksys until this aweful dlink modem router.. moving my linksys into router2 position so all its filtering still works] when you run the cable to it from the main router/modem.. connecting it to the WAN port will not work.. You'll have to plug the cable into one of  the second routers LAN ports, set it up to use the same ssid.. it will appear on your Verizon network stats as a 'computer'.. so if your trying that other method don't waste to much time with the WAN port of it doesn't work....

0 Likes