Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

    Verizon Business Sites

  • WIRELESS
Reply
Contributor
AndyCloud
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-13-2011
0 Kudos

Can I switch from PPPoE to DHCP?

I bought a new Netgear modem (DM111p v2) and they use PPPoE protocol to connect internet. However, My Verizon use DHCP protocol so that my new modem can not connect internet. Could you help me change to PPPoE?

Gold Contributor VII
dslr595148
Posts: 5,346
Registered: ‎09-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Can I switch from PPPoE to DHCP?

 


AndyCloud wrote:

I bought a new Netgear modem (DM111p v2) and they use PPPoE protocol to connect internet. However, My Verizon use DHCP protocol so that my new modem can not connect internet. Could you help me change to PPPoE?


 

#1 In the Netgear DM111p v2 go to Setup Wizard.

 

#2 Select yes to auto-detect connection type.

 

#3 What is the Connection type, detected?

 

#4 What is the brand and model of the device that you are calling My Verizon?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.


 

Contributor
mawketdawg
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Can I switch from PPPoE to DHCP?

Didn't even answer the question. Does Verizon use PPPoE or does it not use PPPoE encapsulation? Do I require a login and password to access the internet with my NETGEAR Router? If I use the login and password with PPPoE does it compromise the security of my internet connection by broadcasting my Verizon UserID and Password? All right, that is my question.

 

I am having a difficult time with network security ie. my wireless system became an "unsecured network". Windows told me so. After resetting my NETGEAR Router, I used the CD that came with the Router to set up my internet connection. One of the steps required me to sign in with PPPoEthernet; I was not given a choice. So my question remains as previously stated in the above paragraph. I can disable PPPoE, but do I want to?

 

DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is not related to PPPoE and is by default always used with your Verizon or any other residential broadband network.

Gold Contributor VII
dslr595148
Posts: 5,346
Registered: ‎09-24-2008

Re: Can I switch from PPPoE to DHCP?

 


mawketdawg wrote:

If I use the login and password with PPPoE does it compromise the security of my internet connection by broadcasting my Verizon UserID and Password?


No, it does not.

 

 

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25031733-PPPOE-password-concerns

 

 


mawketdawg wrote:

Does Verizon use PPPoE or does it not use PPPoE encapsulation?


 

That depends on what type of account you have with your ISP.

 

For example: When I was on Residential DSL I was using PPPoE, but now that I am on Bussiness Class DSL - I have a Static Public IP.

 

It also depends on where you live. I do not know for sure, but I heard while the East coast uses PPPoE the West Coast uses DHCP.

 

 

 


mawketdawg wrote:

Do I require a login and password to access the internet with my NETGEAR Router?


 

If using PPPoE the router handles the user name and password to log-in to the net.

 

Also what makes it more confusing for some users, the router it self has a password.

 

For example, most Linksys's use the password of admin by Default.

 

Anytime that you want to log-in to the router (regardless if PPPoE, DHCP, Static IP) you must enter in the router's password.

 

 

 


mawketdawg wrote:

 

I am having a difficult time with network security ie. my wireless system became an "unsecured network". Windows told me so.


More confussion to add. There is a wireless password that can set so that users can connect wireless. Anytime that you want your computer to connect by wireless - if the router has been setup to use WEP/WPA OR higher, you must enter in the Wireless Password.

 

 

ll

 

 


mawketdawg wrote:

 

After resetting my NETGEAR Router, I used the CD that came with the Router to set up my internet connection. One of the steps required me to sign in with PPPoEthernet; I was not given a choice. So my question remains as previously stated in the above paragraph. I can disable PPPoE, but do I want to?

 


 

In your case, no. Your router is handling the PPPoE connection. If you switch to Business Class, maybe (yes if you get a Static Public IP).

 

 


mawketdawg wrote:

DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is not related to PPPoE


More confusstion to add. There is such things called Dynamic PPPoE and Static PPPoE.

 

 

Go to http://support.dlink.com/emulators/wbr2310/wan.htm then change the connection type to PPPoE, and then look.

 

But to the best of my Knowledge, Verizon only supports:  DHCP (not Dynamic PPTP or Dynamic L2TP) , PPPoE (Dynamic PPPoE, even if your router does not give you a choice about what kind of PPPoE to use), and Static IP ("Pure Static IP, not Static PPPoE for example).

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.


 

 

Account & Services

  • Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

  • Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools