Can't connect laptop
cheryl21704
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to get a new modem but now I can't connect with my laptop.  My desktop is connecting fine to the wifi and so is my smartphone.  Why won't the laptop connect.  FRUSTRATED!

My laptop is saying no network access yet underneath it says wireless network connection.

My active network is saying unidentified network.  What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Please help!

Re: Can't connect laptop
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

"Unidentified Network" generally means that Windows was not able to communicate with the network to see what it was. This can be for any reason, but if you would first start off by saying which wireless router you have, that will allow us to proceed.

0 Likes
rangies3

I'm not the original poster of this question, but I have this problem CONSTANTLY.  My router is A90-9100EM15-10 by Westlake, provided by Verizon.  We have five laptops and a desktop (the desktop is hardwired).  Three of the five laptops have issues with wireless connectivity (troubleshooters say various things, some of which are easy to fix;  the hard one is "invalid IP address").  One of the wireless computers can't connect even when hardwired, which baffles me. 

Further frustrating is the fact that I can't seem to log onto my Verizon router to see from step one what the problem might be.  Possibly user-error, but I can't tell since I can't get into the router. 

Suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What error do you get when you try to log into the router to figure out what is going on? Have you tried the following passwords? If not, have you considered a factoy reset of the modem?

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Modem Serial Number

Verizon Username/Verizon Password

Just remember that when you reset the modem to factory defaults, you will need to visit http://192.168.1.1/ after the reset and set a new password for the modem. The default username and password for the modem is admin/password . If you do not change the password, it will not allow you to do anything. Once the password has been changed and the modem does whatever it needs to do, go to http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm and press the Disable button to shut off the Verizon Walled Garden. From there, you should be all set to configure PPPoE, Wireless, whatever you want.

0 Likes