Can't connect wireless blu ray player
RetiredPro
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been using verizon DSL for about 5 years now.  I have a Versalink 327W that was provided by Verizon.  I've been pretty happy with the service, experiencing only a few glitches that were easily fixed.  But I haven't been pushing it hard.  I have a couple of desktops both wired to the Versalink by ethernet.  The versalink provides internet access to the two computers, and file and printer sharing as well.

Now I have a problem.  I recently bought a Sony Blu Ray player  (model BDP-BX57) with built in wireless.  No matter what I do, wireless connection fails.  I've ruled out SSID and WEP key problems.  The Blu Ray sees the Versalink with its SSID, and can't connect even if I set the Versalink to open.  For what it's worth, if I plug the blu ray into the versalink with ethernet, that works, and I can access the internet.

That solution won't work for me in use.  I need wireless.

Reading various entries in this forum and other places, I see that some people need to update the firmware in their Versalink.  Do I need to do this?  Is it going to help?  Am I just going to have to upgrade my router/modem or my DSL service later on?

Also, looking at the steps needed to update the firmware, it looks error prone to me.  What's my fall back if things go wrong due to either my error or Verizon's?  I don't want to be without service for a long time while Verizon gets me a new router/modem.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't connect wireless blu ray player
RetiredPro
Enthusiast - Level 3

This problem has been solved.

The solution turned out to be to upgrade the firmware inside the "Residential Gateway"  (aka router/modem)  provided by Verizon.  The gateway is a Westell 327W  of the A90 vintage.  The firmware it contained didn't work for wireless connections.

After finding a Verizon site that provides firmware for downloading, and satisfying myself that this site was on the up and up, I finally ventured to download and install the new firmware.  if you are interested in downloads from Verizon, start at download.verizon.net and navigate your way to the download you are loking for.  There may be a link from My Verizon to this download area, but I sure couldn't find it. 

The firmware is now at rev 4.04.03.00.  And the gateway now supports wireless connections.

Thanks for all your responses, and a special thanks to some contributors to old discussions in dslreports where the solution was outlined.

The next problem to deal with is going to be slow speed.  I'll start a new topic. 

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the router, are you trying to hide the SSID (not broadcast the SSID)?

#2 Are you, in the router, using MAC Address Filtering?

0 Likes
RetiredPro
Enthusiast - Level 3

1.  The SSID is not hidden.  The Blu Ray sees the SSID, and shows it on the screen.

2.  I am not doing MAC Address filtering. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 I went to http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=BDPBX57

#2 I clicked on Operating Instructions

#3 I opened up the PDF file.

#4 On page 30 of the PDF, it says something about Manaul Registration.

#5 Did you try to do an automate setup OR did you try to do a Manaul Registration setup?

#6 In the router, did you try to change the SSID?

#7 Also on page 30 of the PDF manual / user's guide/ operating intstructiions, it gives wireless trouble shooting steps. If you have not already, I would strongly suggest that you do them.

0 Likes
RetiredPro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response.

#1 I went to http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=BDPBX57

#2 I clicked on Operating Instructions

#3 I opened up the PDF file.

The PDF looks like the spitting image of the manual that came with the player.

#4 On page 30 of the PDF, it says something about Manaul Registration.

#5 Did you try to do an automate setup OR did you try to do a Manaul Registration setup?

I have not yet tried manual registration. 

#6 In the router, did you try to change the SSID?

No.  The SSID is the same as the serial number printed on the bottom of the Versalink.  The reason that I discount SSID as the source of the problem is that when I tell the Blu Ray to "scan" for a wireless service,  it indeed finds the Versalink, shows the correct SSID  and shows it with about 2 bars.  It also correctly figures out whether the Versalink is set to "open system" or "shared key". 

#7 Also on page 30 of the PDF manual / user's guide/ operating intstructiions, it gives wireless trouble shooting steps. If you have not already, I would strongly suggest that you do them.

Right.  I am following them.  Except for trying manual registration,  I've tried everything the manual recommends.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RetiredPro wrote:

Right.  I am following them.  Except for trying manual registration,  I've tried everything the manual recommends.

Thanks again.

That includes, trying to move the Sony Blu Ray player  (model BDP-BX57) closer to this Westell device?

0 Likes
RetiredPro
Enthusiast - Level 3

This problem has been solved.

The solution turned out to be to upgrade the firmware inside the "Residential Gateway"  (aka router/modem)  provided by Verizon.  The gateway is a Westell 327W  of the A90 vintage.  The firmware it contained didn't work for wireless connections.

After finding a Verizon site that provides firmware for downloading, and satisfying myself that this site was on the up and up, I finally ventured to download and install the new firmware.  if you are interested in downloads from Verizon, start at download.verizon.net and navigate your way to the download you are loking for.  There may be a link from My Verizon to this download area, but I sure couldn't find it. 

The firmware is now at rev 4.04.03.00.  And the gateway now supports wireless connections.

Thanks for all your responses, and a special thanks to some contributors to old discussions in dslreports where the solution was outlined.

The next problem to deal with is going to be slow speed.  I'll start a new topic.