Cancel phone but keep DSL
daveswife413
Does anyone know if I can cancel my verizon telephone (landline) service and keep my DSL? We are debating if we should just keep our cell phones and ditch the land line. We are limited to verizon for internet here.
0 Likes
Re: Cancel phone but keep DSL
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
You should be able to...Just tell them you want to get rid of your landline dialtone and you want your Dsl converted to Dryloop Dsl
Bluejayye
I want to do the same thing..We have DSL and phone and want to drop the landline. We pay $21.99 for the internet. I called billing and they said after we drop the phone the dsl will cost $31.99!!. What's that all about..the online promo for internet for new customers is only 19.99 without a phone line ! You pay more for less at Verizon I guess..Can't beat that deal !!
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
I believe the way they view it is if you have a dialtone line, they charge lower rates for the internet because you subscribe to both services.  Like any company they offer introductory prices for the first year.  I guess you have to decide which is cheaper...just the internet for $31.99 of the price for both services.
0 Likes
SeniorCitizen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Somone asked "Does anyone know if I can cancel my verizon telephone (landline) service and keep my DSL? We are debating if we should just keep our cell phones and ditch the land line. We are limited to verizon for internet here."

Ha! I use Verizon for landline phone and get DSL (high-speed Internet) from Bestweb, a small local company in Westchester County NY. Wanted to get rid of Verizon landline that was advertised at $34.99/month and go with Vonnage. Why? Total Verizon landline phone costs around $60/month+ what with fees, surcharges, FCC charges, 911 surcharge, etc. Here's what 100 hours of research got me. You NEED a landline phone in order to get Internet service. It was like there was no way I could get rid of Verizon. Then someone told me about "ADSL" and got nowhere with this. Got no where because I'm not really computer savvy.

Bestweb is a STUPENDOUS company. Paid a bit more for their service but if/when I had an Internet connection problem -- which was rare -- they were there to help me on the spot.  The extra cost was well worth being able to talk with a HUMAN BEING and not be kept on hold for 10 minutes at a time. But finances got the better of me. So I turned to ... yes .... Verizon.

I signed up for Verizon phone and 1MB Internet high-speed at a cost of $64.99/month. But I will keep my email addresses with Bestweb on dial-up. Spent ONE HOUR on phone with Verizon reps. First one told me I already had Verizon Internet service; I didn't, I had Bestweb. Second one (in Texas also) told me the same thing. NO!

Seems to me that a person who wants Internet service with any company other than Verizon MUST have a Verizon landline phone. Note: Am talking only about living in New York, Westchester County.

But now I can not use my Linksys wireless router. Verizon will send me a wellness or whatever the hell it's called.  Service is supposed to start tomorrow (03/19/09). So tomorrow I'll have for Internet both Verizon and Bestweb.

Verizon customer service leaves MUCH to be desired. But then I finally got to talk to Verizon's Jackie Kotowski (FIOS expert) who's located in Buffalo NY. She was the GREATEST !! Beyond the GREATEST.

Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@SeniorCitizen wrote:

Somone asked "Does anyone know if I can cancel my verizon telephone (landline) service and keep my DSL? We are debating if we should just keep our cell phones and ditch the land line. We are limited to verizon for internet here."

Ha! I use Verizon for landline phone and get DSL (high-speed Internet) from Bestweb, a small local company in Westchester County NY. Wanted to get rid of Verizon landline that was advertised at $34.99/month and go with Vonnage. Why? Total Verizon landline phone costs around $60/month+ what with fees, surcharges, FCC charges, 911 surcharge, etc. Here's what 100 hours of research got me. You NEED a landline phone in order to get Internet service. It was like there was no way I could get rid of Verizon. Then someone told me about "ADSL" and got nowhere with this. Got no where because I'm not really computer savvy.

Bestweb is a STUPENDOUS company. Paid a bit more for their service but if/when I had an Internet connection problem -- which was rare -- they were there to help me on the spot.  The extra cost was well worth being able to talk with a HUMAN BEING and not be kept on hold for 10 minutes at a time. But finances got the better of me. So I turned to ... yes .... Verizon.

I signed up for Verizon phone and 1MB Internet high-speed at a cost of $64.99/month. But I will keep my email addresses with Bestweb on dial-up. Spent ONE HOUR on phone with Verizon reps. First one told me I already had Verizon Internet service; I didn't, I had Bestweb. Second one (in Texas also) told me the same thing. NO!

Seems to me that a person who wants Internet service with any company other than Verizon MUST have a Verizon landline phone. Note: Am talking only about living in New York, Westchester County.

But now I can not use my Linksys wireless router. Verizon will send me a wellness or whatever the hell it's called.  Service is supposed to start tomorrow (03/19/09). So tomorrow I'll have for Internet both Verizon and Bestweb.

Verizon customer service leaves MUCH to be desired. But then I finally got to talk to Verizon's Jackie Kotowski (FIOS expert) who's located in Buffalo NY. She was the GREATEST !! Beyond the GREATEST.

Something here doesn't feel right.  First let me address the basics of Dsl.   In order for a customer to recieve it, we need to have wires run from our Central office to your home.  We place a voltage on those wires which carry the Dsl signal to your home.

There are 2 ways you can order it.  One way is to have Dial tone and the Dsl signal...You can then use the line to make and recieve calls if needed. 

The second and this is where the confusion lies is a method called Dry Loop Dsl.  This method provides no Dial Tone...It only provides the Dsl to your home.  We then give it a fake phone number for billing purposes only.  If you pick up a phone...you get no dial Tone.

When you order Dsl you can order just a modem, which you could have hooked up your linksys to, or you could order a wireless router...In which case you would not need your LInksys.

With Dry Loop Dsl you can then use services such as Vontage.  Companies like Vontage require a Broadband connection to provide dial tone which is what Dsl is.

0 Likes
SeniorCitizen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Provider 7 -- Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not understand anything you wrote. Am clueless what a Dry Loop dsl is, and everything else you wrote. Yes, I'm a senior citizen and do NOT understand all this new language.

You wrote: "When you order Dsl you can order just a modem, which you could have hooked up your linksys to, or you could order a wireless router...In which case you would not need your LInksys." Huh?

Last night I found on my porch a package from Verizon. I'll call it the "DSL Box". I tried hard to following instructions, and used the disk I was sent, but could not get on line. Remember, I had unplugged everything from the Linksys thingy. So I dialed the phone number provided on Verizon's disk and spoke to Liz in the Phillipines. THREE HOURS on the phone with her, the first hour being chock full of static !  So we get me onto the internet. Next problem: How to connect the computer on the second floor of my home that was working just fine yesterday. Push this, do that, etc. SHE phoned Lynksys because the passwords I was told to type (admin, password, admin, admin, etc.) kept getting "Page Cannot be Displayed". Okay, Lynksys says my warrantee expired a month or so ago and I'd have to pay them $29.99 to get an answer. Oh, it was a conference call -- me, Verizon's Liz and Lynksis.

Bottom line: cannot connect my second computer because I'll need from Verizon a "Modem-Router Combo". 

Okay. Disconnect the Lynksis again and back to square one. Here's where I am right now:

1) I can get on line, on the Internet

2) I can receive mail from my 'old' Bestweb account.

3) I can NOT SEND MAIL !

4) My second computer is not connected to Internet.

5) I need a Modem-Router Combo from Verizon. 

I've been working on this problem since 5AM this morning. It is now 11:25AM -- 6 hours. I'm old, and sick to my stomach right now. No joke. I have great difficult undertanding these techie words and navigating these forums to find an answer. I am so frustrated. Thinking I should have stayed with Bestweb even though they're more expensive than Verizon DSL.

What to do? Who to TALK to? Am too confused and not very happy. If anyone has any idea how to fix my problem of receiving emails, please respond in simple words that I can understand. Thank you.

0 Likes