DSL Disconnects During Thunder
odinn7
Enthusiast - Level 2
Back during the Memorial Day weekend we had a storm in Northeastern Pennsylvania that knocked down power and phone lines, Since having that storm I have been experiencing disconnects with my DSL service during thunder storms. This had not happened prior to this area losing power and phone for days during that storm in May. I know many lines were down and crews were working around the clock to get things fixed.

Now, when we have thunder (even in the distance) my DSL will disconnect. This happens constantly now and has recently started doing it during heavy rain without thunder. It's really starting to drive me crazy.
Re: DSL Disconnects During Thunder
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like there may be unshielded cabling along the way to your home or a bad splice in the cable. If you're having trouble with voice service, should you have that from Verizon, call up Voice Repair and have them send a tech out to repair the line. When you call Voice repair, it's best to give them a call during a time when your line is having static or humming on it from a cell phone, that way they can perform an MLT test. If you don't have voice service, call up DSL Repair and ask them to send a tech out to try and find the point of issue.

0 Likes
odinn7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your answer. The voice part of the line has never been all that great to begin with but I don't care much because it is serviceable. The DSL is what bothers me as it will keep dropping during thunder (just went through a 30 minute problem with it a few hours ago) then it clears up once that's gone. Being that it's a fairly new problem I assume it has to be related to the storm or their repairs.

There is no email to contact them with but I can only call them? I always hate having to deal with support on the phone...ugh. lol.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only e-mail I know point to Verizon's Abuse department, but if you wish to talk to Verizon reps online, they do have a Live Chat available on their website. In addition, there are employees on this forum who tend to stop by and help people out, and in addition you can also talk to Verizon techs over at DSLReports' Verizon Direct forum.

Definitely see what you can do to get the voice service running at it's finest. A good line should not have any humming or other noise on it, and while in call, the sound should be nice and crisp but should not sound unnatural. As long as the voice service is working like that on a consistent basis even through storms, getting the issue with the DSL solved should be the same fix that improves the voice service.

Good luck though 🙂

0 Likes
blacknblue2
Enthusiast - Level 3
We have that problem all the time and from what I've read it is a constant problem in many different locations.