DSL Modem and Wireless Router problems
NR2D
Enthusiast - Level 2

I started to have problems on Tuesday. 

My Equipment is:

Dell Precision 870 PC with a Intel Pro network card

Apple IMAC with the Apple Lan connection

Lynksys/Cisco E3000 (Problem started with a Linksys WRT610N router)

Verizon (Actiontec) GT701C DSL modem

I came down to my office and I noticed that the DSL light on my modem was not lit.  In the past

this has ment that there is a problem in the Central Office.  Later in the day I got hold of Verizon

tech support and we got the DSL running again with the modem connected to either computer.

When I connect the router to the modem and the computers to the router, Dell via wire and Apple

via wireless 5.0 GHz 802.11N inout and restart both the router and the modem, I get connectivity

through the router and the modem but the DSL light on the modem is not lit.  After a long period

of time the DSL light may come on then I loose connectivity. 

Everything was working correctly til late Monday night/early Tuesday morning.

I have reset both the modem and routers to factory defaults several time.  I have a problem when

trying to get connectivity with the moden after setting it up again and it takes me to the Verizon

DSL startup site.  Tech support walked me throuogh using the "192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect" and

shutting the redirect off.  I then have connectivity as long as the router is not connected.

I thoought the router went so I just installed a new router, the Linksys/Cisco E3000, and I still

have the DSL light problem. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL Modem and Wireless Router problems
NR2D
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to add to what I said above, I can now also access my DSL modem's setup screen going thru the router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
NR2D
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to add to the above,  bith the router and modem are using the same IP address, 192.168.1.1.  I have had this setup like this for almost 2 years without any problems.  I have several times tried to change the router and modem IP address, 192.168.2.1, but when I reboot either one after the change I cant see the modem at all.

An example.  I changed the router to 192.168.2.1.  Reboot the 2 devices.  Using IE or Safari I type in 192.168.2.1 I see the router.   Then I type 192.168.1.1 hoping to see the moden and nother comes up and eventually it times out and I get an error 404.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Try turning off NAT, page 43 of this user manual:

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/GT701C_Vz_DSL_Modem_User_Manual_3.20.4.3.5.0.9.2.x.pdf

#2 Reconfigure the Lynksys/Cisco E3000 for the type of connection that you use (PPPoE/DHCP).

^^

0 Likes
Mikhail
Enthusiast - Level 3

Having both routers the same IP address is a little bit confusing, but possible since each router creates it's own subnet and provides full PNAT support. Actiontec DSL modem has to have DHCP enabled since Linksys WAN (not LAN) port should be connected to one of 4 Actiontec LAN ports. Linksys should not have any configuration setup in regards of your WAN account. Just set it to dynamic address. In ohter words:

1. RJ-11 connect to Actiontec mode/router.

2. Actiontec modem should be configured to acquire an IP address from Verizon and to provide all authentication info to Verizon.

3. Actiontec modem should be configured to allow clients to acquire dynamic IP addresses -- DHCP enabled.

4. Linsys WAN (not LAN!) port should be connected to Actiontec LAN port.

5. Linksys should be configured to acquire dynamic IP address and no authentifacations.

6. Configure Linksys to be DHCP enabled or you can use static IP addresss if you want.

7. Wireless devices would be connected to Linksys and on the way to the Internet addresses would go through double NAT conversions. Any wired device connected to Linksys would have similar  features. Any device connected to Linksys should be able to connect 192.168.1.1 assigned to Linksys, but not to Actiontec.

8. To be able to connect Linksys and Actiontec would no be able to communicate unless you split 192.168.1.0/24 into smaller subnets and set specific routes in the table. But even you do so you will not be able to access 192.168.1.1 accross subnets boundary.

Hope it helps.

Mikhail
Enthusiast - Level 3

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 Try turning off NAT, page 43 of this user manual:

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/GT701C_Vz_DSL_Modem_User_Manual_3.20.4.3.5.0.9.2.x.pdf

#2 Reconfigure the Lynksys/Cisco E3000 for the type of connection that you use (PPPoE/DHCP).

^^

Not sure #1 would help. I doubt tha  t NR2D  acquired more than one IP address from Verizon. Plus Actiontec uses, I believe, something similar ot iptables for firewalling.

If Linksys is connected to Actiontec and Actiontec then #2 would work either -- Actiontec would be able to register with Verizon and acquire an IP so there would not be a connection.

0 Likes
NR2D
Enthusiast - Level 2

Didn't work.  I will try it again a little later.

Thanks for the info though.

0 Likes
Mikhail
Enthusiast - Level 3

What part did not work?

0 Likes
NR2D
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was unable to go through the router to the internet.  BUT I got it work just now.  I used your procedure but with 1 extra step, I changed the routers internal IP address to "192.168.2.1" from "192.168.1.1" which is the DSL modem's internal address.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

0 Likes
NR2D
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to add to what I said above, I can now also access my DSL modem's setup screen going thru the router.

0 Likes
jimjo1

my wireless connection on somethings wont work it say looking for  ip address and they use to work and some do but some dont now  !!

0 Likes