DSL Slow Download Speed
jbot1

Hello,

I have been running Verizon's 1MBps DSL service for a year and a half, mostly uninterrupted, until three days ago when we had a service outage in the area.  8 hours after the outage, service resumed, but my service has not been the same.  Speed tests (from verizon.net/speedtest and speedtest.net) show average upload speeds (~0.3-0.4 MBps), but very slow download speeds (~0.05-0.3MBps).

After spending several hours on the phone with their customer service, they ran tests on their end that indicated that I was getting an adequate signal.  They sent a tech over yesterday who went through everything up to the modem, and he said the signal was excellent.  At this point, I suspected a bad modem (Actiontec GT704WGB).  However, when he tested his own modem, I still had the same slow download speeds.

At this point, we logically believed it had to be a computer issue.  However, I am using two computers off the modem and they both are experiencing the same symptoms.  They are both clear of spyware, viruses, and for the most part are clean.  He ran an HSI Tech Ping Tool, from which he said those numbers looked good.

At this point, I am stumpted as to why all of a sudden I'm running on dial-up download speeds.  Any ideas to what may have caused it, and what else can be tested to diagnose this issue?

0 Likes
Re: DSL Slow Download Speed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and tell me the speed the modem is reporting. If you can visit the ActionTec's Status Pages (I have never seen the UI of an ActionTec modem, so I can't really help you get there) and find the DSL/Transceiver Statistics, post them up. There will be values such as Attenuation, SN Margin, Power levels, etc. Additionally, is the issue with the slow speeds occurring all the time or only during the evenings?
0 Likes
jbot1

Thanks for the reply.  The slow speeds are consistant all of the time.

VPI:  0

VCI:  35

DSL Mode Setting:  Auto

DSL Negotiated Mode:  G.DMT

Connection Status:  ShowTime

Speed (down/up): 1184 / 384 Kbps
ATM QoS class:  UBR

Output Power (Downstream/Upstream):  11.8 / 11.2 dBm

Attainable Rate (Downstream/Upstream):  5728 / 488 Kbps

HEC Errors (Downstream/Upstream):  59 / 0

OCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 0 / 0

LCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream):  0 / 0

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream):  17.7 / 6.0 dB

Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):  46.0 /  31.5 dB

0 Likes
gmon47

I have the exact same problem.After a power outage(on their end) I lost all internet connectivity.I had to call the service number to get my connection reestablished.Since then i've had dial up speed downloads.They didnt offer to send anybody out and said everything looked fine from their end then.He then went on to try and sell me a faster package.Ugghhhh very frustrating!!!!

0 Likes
jbot1

I called again today, and the rep. said that this is a regional issue (although I feel like they'd say anything to deflect questions at this point).  Would you happen to be in the 570 area?

0 Likes
gmon47

Yea,Im from the 570 area.This all began sunday the 2nd.When i called monday they said there was a problem in my area.On tuesday they said it was fixed.I called thurdsday about my download speeds and they said there was a problem in my area.Saturday they said it was fixed and the problem is mine. I have a linksys n router and a 762k model6100 modem.Not lightening fast but it was good enough.I was streaming movies wirelessly on saturday the 1st.Under four minutes and no rebuffering for a two and half hour movie and under a minute for a thirty minute show.Today it took twenty minutes to download that same thirty minute show and it got cut off.I learned of this problem trying to update my playstation.Twenty minutes later it was still at 1% and i aborted it.I dont know what to do except switch companys 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Those statistics look fine apart from the upstream. You seem to be having an issue with noise that is making you lose some speed on the upstream. If you'd like to get this sorted out, we can do so. Otherwise, glad to hear it's been acknowledged as a regional problem.
0 Likes
dw123451

I am in the 609 area and suffering the same problem.  I have spoken to tech support already and of course.. "we detect no problem with your line."  Of course, that's because there isn't one.  The problem (or change) is on Verizon's side.  I suspect that Verizon has changed the access rules for DSL speed.

I was a 19.99 / mo DSL customer for a year.  There were significant (i.e. 2 months of war) problems in getting it originally set up.  The outcome was in the end, Verizon gave me 6 months free for my trouble.  At the end of the year, I switched to 21.99 / month by month.  I did not want an extended contract term with this company.

Now, years later, and I will be the first to admit -- after a relatively problem-free usage period -- this happens.  There is nothing wrong with my connection.  There is nothing wrong with my hardware, nor my nine computers (2 macs and 7 PCs).

Yet, my connection has changed for the first time in years from 2.8+ Mbps down to 0.41 Mbps down, while 0.73 Mbps up has remained.

That to me sound like an obvious problem.  When is up ever faster than down, standard?  Yet Verizon keeps saying there is no problem with the network.

In my search for answers to the problem, I came across the high speed internet page, where it informed me that the price of 3Mbps is 29.99.  Is that what this is about then?  I was downgraded due to a price increase?

Will Verizon ever speak to customers one-on-one and take care of them?  Or remain a giant fumbling blind monster that everyone hates?  I'm looking at either HQ in NY, or comcast, as solutions at this point.

0 Likes
dw123451

Days later and the problem continues (I feel like I've already posted this thread times;  oh wait I have).

Every day sometime late morning to afternoon, I manage to 'fix' it.  Back to 2.8 Mbps with my hardware.  It's all be ruled out as at least a consistent problem.  I go to bed that night, all well.

...Wake up the next morning and, as now, I'm back to 0.3-0.4Mbps down.

I fiddle around, seeing that each piece of hardware behaves fine, and eventually, after a couple of hours, it begins behaving again.

Until the next day.

Now I hear Verizon has admitted they have been having problems and "expect it fixed within 24-48 hours."  Yeah.  Well, that's encouraging at least;  the truth, maybe.

Back to fiddling with my hardware again.  Maybe I could do a rain dance this time?

0 Likes
gmon47

After another online session I at least got them to admit there is a problem.They gave me the "it'll be fixed and/or send someone over in 24 -48 hr' bit as well.Its been over 48 hours and i havent even received a phone call.This sunday(16th) will be two weeks since ive had this problem.I really dont want to lose my verizon email account after so many years but im not going to continue to pay for a useless service

0 Likes