DSL Slower With Periodic Outages Since Irene
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

My DSL speed is .221 mbs download and .332 mbs upload according to the Verizon Speed Test.  I am in RI.  My area does not have FIOS.  My Verizon DSL plan is the .5mbs  to 1 mbs plan.  With download speeds less than half of the "floor" I can hardly use the web.  I also get periodic outages; some with both land line phone and DSL outages.  My calls to Verizon support have been very frustrating.  They will not create a service call - even though I pay for inside wire maintenance - and all I get is people who spend hours having me do basic computer maintenance.  This accomplishes absolutely nothing.  On occasion, someone admits that a there is a system outage in my area, but no one admits this until I've spent well over an hour trying to communicate with Verizon tech support.  At this point, I am looking at canceling both my land line and internet service.  Before I go through that, I'd like to see if I can push Verizon to address the issues.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Slower With Periodic Outages Since Irene
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have so many problems with the connection that I had to log in as a Community member, and not by my account.  My work email was entered.

0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Despite 2 replies from Verizon, no one has actually contacted me yet to solve the problem.  

I tried TCP Optimizer, but there was little improvement.  The TCP Optimizer program lowered my upload speed and my download speed went from .242 mbps to .280 mbps and occasionally .380 mbps, but this is still very slow.  My download speeds are still not even close to the .5 mbps - 1 mbps in my plan.   I also went into my modem settings to look at those (Westell 6100) but there was nothing that stood out as a problem. 

My download speed was in the .780 range before Irene, so I view this as a Verizon issue.  When Irene struck, I had no DSL for 5 days, and have had outages of varying lengths ever since.  One was another Verizon outage at an equipment location in my state.  The others were of shorter duration and cut off my land line - Verizon had no explanation. 

0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So far I have no response from Verizon.  The number I call for support leads me to people who simply run through basic maintenance and useless procedures that do nothing to address the problem.  I can't even put in a service ticket.  In addition, each encounter with Verizon support takes at least an hour.

0 Likes
warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is near the end of another workday, and still no Verizon response.   Like some other posters, I must be facing systems problems from Verizon equipment that no one wants to admit.  Still, I'd like to hear from Verizon...

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Hopefully you are dealing with the landline side of the house and not the network side.  Call them from your cellphone so they can run line tests while the line is not in use.

warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@weedeater, thanks for your response but I don't think it's a landline issue.  I live in an apartment building, so I don't have access to the NID box/Verizon service entrance.  I don't think there are any issues in the building itself.  The modem, a Westell 6100 is supposed to be capable of DSL2+ speeds.  I'm not sure if the modem is the problem.  It is 5 years old, manufactured in March 2006.  My thought is that it is somewhere in the CO, but I have no way of knowing.  A Verizon agent did leave a message for me today.  He said something about replacing my modem, but this model is really not obsolete.   I was thinking of upgrading to the faster plan, but considering I get less than half the speed of the slow plan, that has to be a waste of money. 

Today my usual speeds were .240 mbps to .280 mbps download and .140 mbps upload.  The reports I've run say my connection is network limited about 40% of the time.  Any thoughts?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let's get a few things situated and in order.

1: You've established the fact that since the Hurricane, you've had issues with the physical circuit in general. This includes both DSL and Phone outages. What you haven't really established is if your Voice service experiences trouble like static, humming, or buzzing. That is very often a sign of a line problem and would require a voice technician to come out. If they can repair the line, your DSL will follow.

2: You've established that you are in an Apartment with no access to a NID. Often the NIDs are located to the rear of the building or in a Telecom closet. If you absolutely cannot reach one, then that is understandable. You will need a tech roll in this case.

3: The DSL is understandably slow. Can you provide to us some Transceiver Statistics from the modem? You can obtain them by visiting http://192.168.1.1/ and choosing System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then Transceiver Statistics. The logins for the modem can be set to one of the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

The Transceiver Statistics will allow us to see what the real deal is with the line, if it's physical or if it's network. From there, we can determine how to push the issue. I doubt the problem lays with equipment in the CO or RT itself. That gear tends to hold up pretty well.

warwick1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612..thanks for responding.  I'd appreciate your opinion here.  There were some voice service outages, but voice service is now normal with no noise that I can discern.  The Verizon techs have keys to room with the NID.  Here are some transceivers stats:

Transceiver Revision: 4.3.0.1

Vendor ID Code:        4

Line Mode:               G.DMT Mode

Data Path:               Interleaved

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path

Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)

Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Transmit Power (dBm)

I also did several tests last night, using the Argonne National Lab site, Visualware, and speed guide.

What I discovered is that my download speed is very erratic - it runs from about .210 Mbps to a high of about .380 Mbps in a period of a few minutes, with occasional spikes above or below.  One test last night noted "S2C throughout test: packet queuing detected; 97% of the time.  This connection is network limited 99.35% of the time."  Another test noted excessive packet loss.     Yet another test noted that the connection was network limited 45% of the time. 

The tests from Visualware noted that connection quality was very poor due to variations in speed at different hops.  A graph showed enormous spikes and drops, with a final descending slope toward my home connection.

Verizon is sending me a new modem; I have my doubts that a new modem will solve the problem.   Your thoughts?

0 Likes