DSL Speed dropped by 50%
BobDeP
Enthusiast - Level 3

In August my DSL speed dropped from 2.89mps to 1.51mps. This happened before in October,2013 and then lines were repaired and all was well. This time tech service informed me that to "stabilize" the service they have lowered the speed. I have noticed fewer shut downs but I find it rather distasteful to be paying for high speed and getting slow speed. It seems that quite a few people are having the same issues and I wish that Verizon would show some loyalty to its customers. Maybe those days have since declined along with the DSL speed. Bob D

Re: DSL Speed dropped by 50%
Chrislee1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Consider yourself lucky.  I've NEVER seen speeds over 1 Mbps and with a lifetime contract of $19.99 frankly I never expected  anything more.  Now they raise the price by $5.00 a month and still I'm lucky if I see 1 Mbps.  The norm is 46 Kbps or 206 Kbps and one day it was 9 Kbps.  (9 and no its not a typo). ~C~

0 Likes
BobDeP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Boy, that is slooowww! I was more concerned with the contiued drop in speeds over time. Just curious: what part of the country are you from? I'm in southern NJ and Verizon has slowly been putting in FIOS all around us but not here. I have heard positive things about speed and reliability. Thanks, BobD

0 Likes
GeoJim1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine has been lame from mid September. No ability to fix the problem. Speed, disconnects, and freezing of service. Oh - the suggested solution? Buy more service! Smiley Sad

0 Likes
BigmanJ

I have almost the exact same problem! It started a few weeks ago and doesn't seem to be any signs of repair on the issue.

0 Likes
vinceb1

same. they over sell the bandwith and eveyone suffers but verizon.....

0 Likes
stany
Enthusiast - Level 2

It happened to me last month, start with no dial-tone on phone, then dsl slowing down, later broadband/internet getting intermittent, worst one - for couple days, there's no internet. 

Verizon blamed my old modem, almost got me to pay for new modem, but then they sent me new one for free, which make no difference till now, intermittent, with speed 768kbps, HSI with speed of Dial-Up.

0 Likes
BobDeP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your experience is a carbon copy of mine about 1 1/2 years ago. I finally threatened enough to get a tech here (actually 2 techs) and they rewired the line from my router to the outside box. It is now a dedicated line and the issues you had such as intermittent service and static were resolved. BUT the decrease in speed contiues and is frustrating since, like you, I'm paying for "enhanced" high speed ineternet. Kind of a joke. I hope that helps....good luck.

0 Likes
qdemon1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same script:  slow internet speeds (0.1 Mbps), intermittent DSL outages and then no dial tone.  My line had gone completely dead for the second time in a two week period.  Big Red has balked at sending a repair tech and has focused almost exclusively on selling me FIOS, which only recently became available in my area.  Coincidence?

0 Likes
BobDeP
Enthusiast - Level 3

It doesn't seem right the way they are conducting business but I am envious that FIOS is now available to you. My daughter lives in NYC and she has FIOS and can't say enough about how great it is! Very high speed and after a year she says it is a very stable platform. If, and when, FIOS comes to my area I'll jump at the chance. It doesn't make me a fan of "Big Red" but I would just love to go out of DSL. Good luck!

0 Likes