DSL connection drops Every 2-4 days
viperman07
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I am a new dsl customer and it has not had a steady connection for more than 3 days.  What occurs is the internet would stop

working and when I check the modem, the DSL light is flashing like its not getting a signal (its not flashing rapidly because if it was

then it would be getting a signal).  After I turn off the modem and turn it back on again all is working again. I am using the Westell

6100G Rev. H manufactured in 07/2010.

This is the second modem that I have tried to use.  The first modem would only last 2 days until it needed to be reset so a verizon

tech came to the house to check the lines and said that it was the modem that needed to be replaced.  I replaced the modem and

thought the problem was solved until it happened again with this current modem.

One solution I've read about was to setup a timer on the power outlet of the modem to have it reset itself once a night? Is that a

good idea? Since this is not a wireless modem/router is there any output I can provide?  Also, should I try to get a third modem

from verizon?

Thanks for any suggestions!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL connection drops Every 2-4 days
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You aren't by any chance running software with an ad blocker, are you? I'm getting the continuous loading animations on that page as well, and I believe it's because I filter out Advertisements on my end.

View solution in original post

Symmit
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a similar problem. I have the Westell 7500 (3rd one) and my internet connection drops acouple times everyday and one time always seems to be around 9:30pm est. Im about ready to dump Verizon!!! Any suggestions appreciated

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To both of you:

#1 Visit http://192.168.1.1/

#2 Choose System Monitoring, Advanced Statistics, and then Transceiver Statistics.

#3 If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

#4 Paste up the contents of the page you see.

Symmit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here you go!!! TRY and help this

Transceiver Statistics

<Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path FAST
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 864 Margin (dB) 21.9 15.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 7.0 3.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 3.9 11.9

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your statistics look very nice. Good enough to handle any package you wish to put on the line. Just wondering though, during times when the DSL is down and the light is flashing, do you hear static or other noises on your phone line?

Symmit
Enthusiast - Level 2

This may sound weird, but the static only seems to occur when there is or has been alot of rain/moister

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The next time there's static on the line, give Verizon a call on a cell phone so that they can perform an MLT Test on the line. Before you do give them a call, if possible, take a phone out to your NID and see if the static is still present from the test jack found inside of the customer access portion. If a problem can be found, getting it fixed should help the DSL out a bit despite the good statistics. Higher frequencies are more prone to getting noise over the analog frequencies, so while analog may not show problems until it's raining out, the DSL can.

viperman07
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

Here are my statistics from the modem.

ransceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2112 640 Margin (dB) 13.3 13.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 54.8 31.5 Transmit Power (dBm) 18.6 11.9

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path

INTERLEAVED

Thanks

0 Likes
viperman07
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have also noticed that certain websites never load flash at all.  For example this website just keeps saying "loading" for the pictures. 

This is possibly not safe for work so please be cautious: http://www.maxim.com/amg/GAMING/Slideshows/3DS+Top+Ten+Launch+Games

I used to have a problem with "https" sites never loading but I changed the router MTU settings to 1492 and it fixed the problem.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You aren't by any chance running software with an ad blocker, are you? I'm getting the continuous loading animations on that page as well, and I believe it's because I filter out Advertisements on my end.