Re: DSL connection keeps dropping out!
DCcat

We're also in DC and have been having this problem only for about the past month. We have an ActionTec router (which replaced our Westell that died quite a few years ago).

Our DSL light suddenly starts blinking and a window pops up telling us we have to reconnect. This sometimes happens a couple of times every hour. We can't reconnect until we power the router off, wait about 30 seconds, then power it back on.

We are also getting longer/more frequent  browser hangs (Firefox 12.0). At first we wrote this off to the fact that our computer is ancient (along w/ith its OS), and that these days most websites are dynamic. Every page is composed of hundreds of bits that have to be pulled in from different databases (since we couldn't POSSIBLY get by without tons of individually tailored advertising).

But seeing the number of complaints from other people makes me think of something else . . .

About the same time this problem started, we also noticed an incredible amount of noise on our landline, which is also supplied by Verizon.

We had a pretty noisy line many years ago (e.g., crosstalk on voice calls, trouble sending faxes). After we complained, a Verizon tech came out and did something in the alley. The problem completely disappeared and for years, we were quite satisfied.

Now we wonder if our trouble is because we were switched to a bad pair. For one thing, it looks like the workers swap them at will. And aside from pairs that are truly "bad", a pair's performance is affected by its location within the bundle (more/less impedence).

If we stay with Verizon, we plan to call and ask them to run a test on the line . . . even if it means they just come up and swap our pair with our neighbors'   🙂

0 Likes
Frustrated68

We are having the same problem since "upgrading" to high speed enhanced.  It was never a problem before the upgrade. Now every few minutes the dsl connection is dropped.  Tech support has been no help (imagine that).  Has anyone been able to resolve this problem?  It sounds like our lines may not be able to handle the greater speeds from the upgrade, but apparently there is not an option for us to revert to our previous plan (3Mbps).

0 Likes
valkierneth

I am having the same problem, I even get a short ring on the telephone before my connection cuts off and I have to turn off and back on my router I am in southern Maryland. Technical support told me it was a filter but I replaced that and am still having the same problem, they also told me it was the splitter where I had the phone and modem plugged in but it still happens with just the modem plugged in. I thought maybe they were capping my data use but seeing all these comments I think something else is wrong. Has anyone found a solution?

0 Likes
Kyri
I am in sykesville. Same problem (dsl dropping out) since monday, thoug the connection has been degrading all summer. This morning they finally admit to an outage on their end, and I have no dsl connection at all. This, after a week of them telling me it was my router Btw, the new router they sent me did not help at all). By the looks of this forum, people's connections are going to hell everywhere...sad that Verizon doesn't spend more of our $ on infrastructure and on technology to pinpoint outages so they don't anger and waste their customer's time troubleshooting issues that only Verizon can fix on their end.
0 Likes
VeryFrustrated3

This is really unbelievable.  We live in Washington, DC (near Woodley Park) and are having the exact same problem.  Our DSL Internet service keeps cutting off and we are forced to repeatedly reboot our modem in order to reconnect to the Internet.  This happens several time a day and even several times an hour.  We have called customer service every day for the last week, and they are not able to help.  If anyone finds a solution, please let us know.  We are at our wit's end and will be forced soon to change to another provider!

0 Likes