DSL connection
Torch1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am currently using windows Vista on a Dell computer, I recently purchased an ACER computer using Windows 7. I hooked my new computer to my WESTELL 6100 and used my Verizon Online DSl Disc which told me there are problems with my connection. I can now connect to the Internet but I cannot go to my verizon home page. What do I need to do to correct this?

0 Likes
Re: DSL connection
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If you are connected to the internet you simply have to type in www.verizon.com . If you are doing this and its not coming up, but other websites are, you have something further that needs to be looked into with the computer.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's no reason to run the disk provided with the modem, and I'm sure it failed because it wasn't designed at the time with the changes Windows Vista and Windows 7 have in them. Everything is plug in and go these days. The disk serves it's use if you need a USB driver for the modem, but in reality every PC these days comes with an Ethernet NIC so even USB is getting irrelevant.

0 Likes
Torch1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for responding. I did try typing in verizon .com  and it comes up in the tab and sits there forever with a blank page trying to get there. What else should I look at? I checked the Westell the software is up to date, It says all connections are good (I'm useing Ethernet) I can switch back to my old computer and everthing is fine. Are there settings in windows 7 i need to change?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the back of your modem for us. What version of the 6100 fo you have? Essentially, the full model number should tell us. Also, visit http://192.168.1.1/ and then go to System Monitoring. Tell us what version of the firmware/software that is loaded onto the modem.

There is no need for the Westell software, FYI. You can remove it and it probably won't serve much use these days anymore.

0 Likes
Torch1
Enthusiast - Level 2

the full model number is C90-610015-06 and the software version is 03.02.01. The configuration is 096-900030-03A I don't know if that tells you anything or not.

Thanks

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder if this helps you..

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16040

If not, maybe also

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1257

If not I have no idea at this time, but someone else might know something.

0 Likes
Torch1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank You

I'll check them out.

0 Likes
Torch1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried both sites but neither solved the problem. I have both computers sitting side by side. I can put the router on the computer using windows vista and it goes right to the home page. When I put the router on the computer using windows 7 It goes to the enternet But sits with a blank page trying to go to Verizon. I can goe to google and other sites but not Verizon. I treid pinging it from the computer and it looks ok. Anyboby have any other suggestions I can try?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Interesting. I believe you still have the older Westell firmware on your 6100. That's not an issue, and I actually prefer the older firmware over the new variety that is going around these days. Bridging the 6100 if you have a router might help with this issue.

You mentioned a router all of a sudden. When you take the router out of the mix, are you still unable to visit the Verizon homepage? Have you tried updating the firmware on the router? If you're calling the modem a router (which it technically is), please clarify this. If this is a separate router, please tell us what router model it is.

0 Likes