DSL connectivity issues - looping between verizon support & in person technicians
nydsluser
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm hoping that someone can help me or point me in better direction as I'm running into an infine loop between Verizon DSL tech support and having in person technicans come in (have a third person scheduled to come in now).  Here's a run down of my issue:

1) Have had verizon DSL for the past 10 years.

2) Starting about 4-6 weeks ago, the DSL service would go in and out and sometimes come on its down and sometimes requrie a modem reboot (Westell 7500).  The frequency of this increased to once every few minutes and I called verizon.

3) Verizon support sent a phone tech to look at my line and he said it must be the modem.

4) A new modem was ordered and mysteriously my connection was working for the next week.  When it started to act up again, I changed the modem and still had issues.

5) Verizon sent a tech with DSL training and he checked the NID device and replaced a line coming from the outside of the house to the inside.  This resulted in a speed improvement WHEN things are working, but the overall issue seems to be still there.

6) Verizon support says it must be the line and is going to send another tech over (the tech who was over yesterday checked out all the lines both outside and inside and I feel like I'm being bounced between tech support and phone techs).

7) Verizon is currently running FIOS cables above the street on my block and not sure if that might be causing any issues (FIOS lines are being run along with the time warner cable lines and FIOS is not expected until sometime mid next year or so)

Anyone have any suggestions, tips or clues as to what could be wrong?  I would even hire someone externally to fix this, but need a better way to diagnose this issue.  At the moment, my streaming services are pretty much useless due to the connection going in and out and using the net is frustrating. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL connectivity issues - looping between verizon support & in person technicians
nydsluser
Enthusiast - Level 2

All -

This issue appears to be resolved now.  The third technician came out and checked the wire going from the pole to my house and one end of the wire had a cut on it (probably from squirrels) and it was replaced.  Since being replaced, I'm noticing consistent service and keeping my fingers crossed that was it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: DSL connectivity issues - looping between verizon support & in person technicians
EddieT1

Just curious what part of NY are you in? It wouldn't happen to be near Guilderland would it? I'm also having simiar problems with drop outs whenever the wind blows or it rains. A tech came out yesterday (but never came to the house) and it was fine for about a day, now we are back to same thing. They too were also running wires here as well so I'm wondering of teh odd chance of us both being affected by the same actual problem.

0 Likes
nydsluser
Enthusiast - Level 2
NYC - Queens
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To OP only

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

For your modem, as long as you do not have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it

Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics]. Copy and paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

To other user:

#1 Do Step one.

#2 To do step two, if you don't know how to get that info from your modem:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
nydsluser
Enthusiast - Level 2

All -

This issue appears to be resolved now.  The third technician came out and checked the wire going from the pole to my house and one end of the wire had a cut on it (probably from squirrels) and it was replaced.  Since being replaced, I'm noticing consistent service and keeping my fingers crossed that was it.

0 Likes