DSL modem Westell A90.
tander1969

The Westell  A90 drops out constantly and I must shut down the modem and go through the reboot of the modem procedure.  That is I must turn the unit off, pull the power plug and also the telephone line.  I have to do this every time I want to use the internet.  Is there a problem with the A90 modem?  Why doesn't it resync automatically?  Also it seems my DSL service is getting really slow.  I average about 300 Kb download speed on a good day and around 120 Kb on weekends.   Is this what Verizon calls high speed internet service? 

0 Likes
Re: DSL modem Westell A90.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) will contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Please provide the Transceiver Statistics from you modem.

To do so, I believe this is what you need to know...

Sad to say, you modem does NOT....

#1 Support telnet/SSH.

#2 OR support SNMP.

#3 OR support FTP.

#4 Has no web based UI. :smileysad:

-- Pre setup directions, regardless of what other equipment you have. This assumes that you have a Windows Computer.

#1 I sent you a private message that points to the tool that is required.

#2 Do not install it at this time.

#3 Make sure that you know how to setup a Static IP on your computer.

a) At http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm there is some guides.

b) If your computer has at least two NICs, be sure to which NIC is which.

-- End pre setup - regardless of what other equipment you have. For a Windows Computer.

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router, most likely it has a built in switch in it.

#5 If you have a hub/switch that is not part of a router, this what you do - Otherwise, skip down to (what to do without a hub/switch - not part of a router).

#6 Make that hub/switch is only connected to a power supply at this stage.

#7 Disconnect the wire from the Westell at the your RJ-45 WAN port router end.

#8 That wire, if I understand things correctly, goes to the port next to the uplink port of that hub/switch

#9 Connect another wire from the your RJ-45 WAN port router's WAN/Internet/To Modem port.

#10 The other end of the wire that is connected to the your RJ-45 WAN port router's WAN/Internet/To Modem port, connects to any other port the hub/switch but not the uplink port or the port in use by the modem.

#11 Make sure your computer(s) behind the your RJ-45 WAN port router router can still access the net.

#12 One of the reasons that I said that in step 11, is because maybe I made a mistake in step 8 - it is not the port next to the uplink port, it is the uplink port.

-- End pre setup, if you have a hub/switch that is not part of a router.

#13 Disconnect your computer from behind the your RJ-45 WAN port router router.

#14 Setup a Static that is not in the same subnet as your RJ-45 WAN port route that wired NIC.

For example if the RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP is 192.168.1.1, then on that wired NIC...

IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

#15 As addressed in http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267

For security precautions, unbind File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks from the second NIC.

#16 If you don't have at least two NICs, well disable that for that NIC.

#17 Connect that wired NIC to any other port of the hub/switch but not the uplink port, port next to the uplink port OR the port in use by the your RJ-45 WAN port router's WAN/Intenet/ To Modem Port.

#18 Now Install the tool that I sent you a link to.

Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

#20 In the tool go to DSL tab.

#21 If your computer has two NICs, please post the info from there.

#22 If your computer only has one NIC:

a) Copy down the info from there.

b) Disconnect the computer from behind the hub/switch that is between the Westell modem and the your RJ-45 WAN port router router.

c) Connect the computer to one of the your RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN ports.

d) Change the NIC to use DHCP.

e) Then post the info that you got from there....

---- End directions if you have a hub/switch that is not part of a router.

If you don't have a hub/switch that is not part of a router, consider buying one. A cheapo 4-port hub/switch will do.

What to do without a hub/switch - not part of a router and assuming that you don't want to buy one. :smileywink:

#6 Disconnect the wire from the Westell at the your RJ-45 WAN port router end.

#7 Disconnect your computer from behind the your RJ-45 WAN port router router.

#8 Setup a Static with these settings for your computer's wired NIC.

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

#9 Connect your computer using the wire that you disconnected from the Westell.

#10 Now Install the tool that I sent you a link to.

Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

#12 In the tool go to DSL tab.

a) Copy down the info from there.

b) Disconnect the computer from the Westell modem.

c) Connect the RJ-45 WAN port router to the Westell modem.

d) Connect the computer to one of the your RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN ports.

e) Change that NIC to use DHCP.

f) Then post the info that you got from there....

^^^

0 Likes